I'm doing some work on module development inside of a Vagrant VM of CentOS 6.2. This VM has the community version of Puppet installed (2.7.13 I think), but that doesn't include Hiera by default.

My module is dependent on Nan Liu's puppet-staging module, which requires hiera. This puts me into the proverbial chicken and egg problem of not having a puppet function but also not being able to install it with puppet, since my manifests don't compile due to the hiera function not being available.

Right now, I'm doing a manual bootstrap of a new vagrant box with a dedicated Puppet manifest that calls another one of Nan's modules, puppet-hiera, to install hiera on the Vagrant VM, but I'd rather use the same manifest for both bootstrap and module testing. I don't care if it takes two passes to converge, I just don't want a freshly booted Vagrant box to complain because it can't compile it's manifest.

Is there a relatively foolproof way to determine if Puppet has a function available to it or not? Is there a "has_function" function available in the Puppet DSL, or is there a check that I could roll into a fact that works cross-platform and between Puppet Enterprise and Community?

  • Nigel Kersten at Apr 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

[...]

    There's a pending pull request in the stdlib module for adding a
    function_available function

    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-stdlib/pull/59

  • Geoff Davis at Apr 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    That's what I'm looking for. I'll fold in that branch into my testing until it goes mainline.

    Any ETA on it going mainline?
[...]

  • Ken Barber at Apr 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    I'm going to review this now. Its destined for master, so someone from
    the release team can probably comment on the next major release
    schedule for stdlib.
[...]

  • Geoff Davis at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm
    I've found a potential issue, but I'm not sure if this is within the scope of function_available or not.

    The vagrant basebox I'm using actually does ship with puppet-hiera, but there's no /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml

    Thus, even though function_available('hiera') returns true, the function isn't actually usable:

    Hiera config file /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml not readable at /tmp/vagrant-puppet/modules-0/staging/manifests/init.pp:31 on node centos-6-vagrant.vagrantup.com

    Is there a way to check whether the function is actually usable as well?

    Geoff Davis
    Scripps Institution of Oceanography
    gadavis@ucsd.edu, (858) 822-5756

[...]

  • Gary Larizza at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm
    Hey Geoff,

    I see that as two separate steps (Is Hiera enabled and is Hiera
    configured). I think the function satisfies the former, but you might want
    to write your own check for the latter (as each person probably interprets
    'configured' differently). You could do a check like:

    if function_available('hiera') and hiera('hiera_enabled', false) {
    <do something with hiera>
    } else {
    <do something without hiera>
    }

    This would do a hiera lookup for a parameter 'hiera_enabled' that could be
    set in your common/global.yaml file (while defaulting to false if it's not
    found).

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at

    For more options, visit this group at

    Gary Larizza
    Professional Services Engineer
    Puppet Labs

  • Geoff Davis at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm
    Alas that doesn't work as the manifest fails to compile properly without the /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml file being there.

    Nan's code does provide defaults for the hiera lookups similar to what you are doing below, but the compiler balks before they are even evaluated.

    Here's the version of staging/init.pp that generated the error below: https://github.com/nanliu/puppet-staging/blob/5e1a8763ae36c2ea21c0a5b6a1f0e586e077f0fd/manifests/init.pp

    Note that all of the hiera calls have defaults.

[...]

  • Gary Larizza at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    Hey Geoff,

    We actually had a talk about this. There is this code that will help catch
    that scenario FOR NOW -->
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/hiera-puppet/pull/23

    I believe this is a bug and should DEFINITELY be fixed in source. Until
    then, the 'safe_hiera()' function allows you to make this check.

[...]

  • Eric Shamow at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm
    As a +1 on this (and as the guy who wrote safe_hiera) --

    It shouldn't be a function, the safety should be wrapped into hiera. But yes, this will get you the right syntax so you can just search/replace safe_hiera for hiera once it's fixed.

    -Eric

    --

    Eric Shamow
    Professional Services

    gadavis@ucsd.edu (mailto:gadavis@ucsd.edu), (858) 822-5756 (tel:%28858%29%20822-5756)

    Hiera config file /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml not readable at /tmp/vagrant-puppet/modules-0/staging/manifests/init.pp:31 on node centos-6-vagrant.vagrantup.com (http://centos-6-vagrant.vagrantup.com/)

[...]

  • Gary Larizza at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm
    And here's the bug to track --> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/10367
[...]

  • Geoff Davis at Apr 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm
    Cool, thanks for the quick response.

    In the meantime, it might be helpful to ship a default hiera.yaml in the PuppetLabs packages.

    I'm using the Vagrant boxes from vstone.eu [1], and he's just pulling your Puppet packages from yum.puppetlabs.com. [2]

    Version in my VM is:
    puppet.noarch 2.7.13-1.el6 puppetlabs

    [1] http://packages.vstone.eu/vagrant-boxes/
    [2] http://packages.vstone.eu/vagrant-boxes/CHANGELOG