Hi Guys, Let me Introduce myself as self learner and very new to
puppet and I am sure that now on I am staying here in this group for
long and keep asking questions,

I am sorry if my message annoys you or if its a bit childish please
forgive me but i believes that if you want to learn you should ask,

My Question is :

I have a server running puppet Master and 8 clients are connected with
Master and every half an hour clients pulls up there configuration if
requires from master and update themselves, but if need to restart
Apache on 4 of them and have to restart varnish in the remaining 4 all
in a sudden then how i will do that? do I need to wait for the next
half an hour that clients connects with master and restart the service
or is there any other way for doing so?

  • Walter Heck at Apr 16, 2012 at 11:55 pm
    If you are not running your agents in daemon mode, you can have a look
    at mcollective. It allows you to define a set of servers that you want
    to do a puppet run on.

    cheers,

    Walter

    --
    follow @walterheck on twitter to see what I'm up to!
    --

  • Luke Bigum at Apr 17, 2012 at 8:07 am
    Overdue,

    Walter is right in that you will need to look to another tool, such as
    MCollective. Puppet is not the best at orchestrating operations across
    multiple servers. It can reacting to things on one machine, like an
    Apache servers' config file updating, but there's nothing in core Puppet
    that's going to have your Varnish servers react to this event.

    MCollective is a job scheduling frame work that can do what you're after
    and integrates with Puppet quite well. Other products are Func and RunDeck.

    -Luke
[...]

    Luke Bigum

    Information Systems
    Ph: +44 (0) 20 3192 2520
    luke.bigum@lmax.com | http://www.lmax.com
    LMAX, Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London W11 4AN

    FX and CFDs are leveraged products that can result in losses exceeding
    your deposit. They are not suitable for everyone so please ensure you
    fully understand the risks involved. The information in this email is not
    directed at residents of the United States of America or any other
    jurisdiction where trading in CFDs and/or FX is restricted or prohibited
    by local laws or regulations.

    The information in this email and any attachment is confidential and is
    intended only for the named recipient(s). The email may not be disclosed
    or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in
    any way. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender
    immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorised
    copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
    strictly forbidden.

    LMAX operates a multilateral trading facility. Authorised and regulated
    by the Financial Services Authority (firm registration number 509778) and
    is registered in England and Wales (number 06505809).
    Our registered address is Yellow Building, 1A Nicholas Road, London, W11
    4AN.

  • Kukki at Apr 17, 2012 at 11:19 am
    Thanks guys that was really very helpful and did clear lots of concepts in
    my mind for puppet. Absolutely brilliant that means that with collective I
    can even launch the instances on EC2 aswel and can even run the required
    services on demand within the boxs.

    One thing I also like to know say puppet master connected to 20 boxs in a
    cluster and all the agents are connected to master and are running in
    daemon mode and doing well,but if i need to do some changes or update few
    things in an admin box itself (i.e Box with puppet master) so how do i do
    that? do i need to install puppet client aswel where puppet master is
    running to do the required job or puppet master can be use to configure
    itself? If yes then how.

    Regards,

    On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 05:31, OverDue Ocean<overdueocean@gmail.com>

    .
    --
[...]

  • Luke Bigum at Apr 17, 2012 at 11:50 am
    Yes, your Puppet Master can be an Agent, it just talks to itself. Most
    people manage Puppet Agent and Master configuration with Puppet itself -
    get it to manage it's own config and restart itself when it changes.
    This means you only need a bunch of text files - your modules and
    manifests - to rebuild your entire infrastructure.
[...]

    Ph: +44 (0) 20 3192 2520 <tel:%2B44%20%280%29%2020%203192%202520>