On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Gary Larizza wrote:
Have you checked out the packages that Karanbir Singh has created?  They
work fairly well --> http://centos.karan.org/el5/ruby187/

They're also not updated for recent security vulnerabilities, which should
be a concern for anyone deploying them in production.

Basically, this means that Telly won't support el5 as a master, right?
This is my understanding, yes. We'll support EL5 as a master with
Puppet Enterprise, and as an agent with the vendor provided Ruby, but
the cost of supporting Ruby 1.8.5 running a Puppet Master is quite
high.

I know this isn't ideal, but Ruby 1.8.5 is extremely long in the tooth.

-Jeff

  • Jo Rhett at Apr 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm
    I'd like to recommend the frameos version instead. If you're going to do it from source, the frameos ruby spec file is much simpler, with much smaller diff files against the distro, and doesn't compile in a bunch of japanese and Tk stuff. I've been updating the spec file to track the latest ruby patchlevel with no other changes, and that works fine for me.

    https://github.com/frameos/ruby-rpm