First of all sorry for my English, I am using online translators, I hope
you understand my question. I am newbie to web development but I have some
experience with C# developing desktop applications and need advice. I will
going to enter in the Real Estate Business and I want to develop my Real
Estate WebSite by myself. I'm right now learning HTML, CSS and Javascript
and I need to know if the Meteor framework or Node.js are optimal choices
for a Real Estate site that I hope will have high traffic or Django/Python
is a better option to develop a Full Featured and fast performance Real
Estate Website. For example if my site is visited for 15,000 visitors at
the same time and 5,000 of these visitors use the search box at the same
time to filter the properties by location, price, etc, which of this three,
Django or Meteor or Node.js is better suited to handle the concurrency in
this particular user action with less waiting time for the visitors in show
the results from the search. In other words, Is the Non-Blocking I/O
ability and built-in support for Concurrency of Meteor or Node.js an
advantage in performance in a high concurrency scenario where multiple
users visit my website and request information from the database at the
same time, or is not an advantage for this scenario.

I ask this question because i want to make my visitors happy with
Ultra-fast speed to show the search results and Ultra-fast speed in Page

A last detail to mention is that I will not use Photos of the properties
listed in my website, I will use only embedded YouTube videos from my
YouTube Channel ( No need to hosting the videos) of the Houses or
Apartments with the respective information about them in the space below
the embedded video.

Sorry for my newbie questions and for repeat certain details several times,
but i need to choose the right tool for the job in order to not loose my
learning time and in the future have to rewrite my entirely website to
other Development platform.

thanks in advance,
best regards

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Iuri Machado at Dec 1, 2014 at 5:24 am
    I'll try to write in simple English so you can translate better.

    To be fair with you, the choice of framework does not matter at all. If you can design properly and code well on the framework of your preference, it's fine. Of course some provide more features out of the box, like real-time web applications (Meteor and my favourite, Websharp), or maybe resfull APIs is what you need (django + restframework, flask).

    My advice for you is: choose the one you are most comfortable with. Or maybe if you are feeling a bit more adventurous, try some functional programming (F#, Clojure or Scala - they have very cool web frameworks to work with).

    Hope I helped in some way.
    I.

    --
    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Angel Java Lopez at Dec 1, 2014 at 5:26 am

    Bad (and maybe long, confused) English here, too ;-)

    Well, I have no experience in the kind of site you mentioned. I'm a C#/Java
    developer, with Node.js experience. Some personal comments:

    - Search will depend on the concurrency query support of your database
    (unless you prepare an in-memory implementation, but in Node.js you must
    remember you have only one thread for JavaScript to run things). The
    bottleneck will be your database, and Node.js async I/O capabilities will
    derive all the work to the database engine, leaving Node to attend other
    users

    - Django/Python is a bit opinionated, and Node.js is a more "free" way of
    doing things. Django/Python is like the Ruby on Rails of Python, with
    modules and ecosystem, but with the Django-way-of-doing-things. You have
    the friction of Python 2.7 vs 3.x. Node.js is simple, but you have more
    work putting all the pieces in place. Personally, I prefer the Node.js way.
    Simplicity and choices. And Python still has the GIL
    https://wiki.python.org/moin/GlobalInterpreterLock at least in CPython, you
    could try Jython (notably, Node.js avoid GIL using only one thread for
    JavaScript, and async I/O).

    - Meteor is "too much" Meteor, that is, is the
    "Meteor-way-of-doing-things". Even client-side JavaScript should be obey
    the Meteor way. IMO, that is easy way (that is, all piece are in place),
    but the pieces were chose by others. Meteor has a vibrant community, but I
    feel you lost the vibrant client-side JavaScript community, and the choice
    of other options. BTW, check the meteor open sourced
    https://github.com/CodersTV
    http://coderstv.com/
    with videos, like your site

    Other comments?

    Angel "Java" Lopez
    @ajlopez

[...]

    New group rules:
    Old group rules:
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/df193078-622c-4f6f-bcd3-0621f37a9d18%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/df193078-622c-4f6f-bcd3-0621f37a9d18%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Miguel Vasquez at Dec 1, 2014 at 5:26 am