Hi, I'm trying to learn JavaScript fast.

I had some trouble today trying to get Tern, JSLint and JSHint setup.

With some help on an IRC, we discovered I installed a node utility which was not related to nodejs.

This is like a bug, as, if I install nodejs, and try to execute 'node', it tells me it is missing, and to install blah (assume I didn't read it carefully).

So I install node utility. And things don't work. I can execute nodejs command. But those apps Tern etc. won't work.

The solution is to remove node package, and install nodejs-legacy.

Should the maintainers of these projects be made aware of this issue? Does legacy mean the node command is being phased out? I believe their packages look for node command.

Maybe the majority of users are on OS X, and so this troubleshooting issue in't included in documentation, blogs etc.

--
Brady

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Ryan Schmidt at Nov 29, 2014 at 6:36 am

    Hi, I'm trying to learn JavaScript fast.

    I had some trouble today trying to get Tern, JSLint and JSHint setup.

    With some help on an IRC, we discovered I installed a node utility which was not related to nodejs.

    This is like a bug, as, if I install nodejs, and try to execute 'node', it tells me it is missing, and to install blah (assume I didn't read it carefully).

    So I install node utility. And things don't work. I can execute nodejs command. But those apps Tern etc. won't work.

    The solution is to remove node package, and install nodejs-legacy.

    Should the maintainers of these projects be made aware of this issue? Does legacy mean the node command is being phased out? I believe their packages look for node command.

    Maybe the majority of users are on OS X, and so this troubleshooting issue in't included in documentation, blogs etc.
    Your feedback should be directed to the maintainers of the packages you are installing. It is they who have decided to rename the "node" binary, and to provide the nodejs-legacy package to give it to you under the expected "node" name.

    My understanding is that as far as the Node developers are concerned, the name of the Node binary is "node" and this will not be changing. If other unrelated software packages exist which also provide a binary called "node", the Node developers do not consider that to be their problem.

    --
    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Alex Kocharin at Nov 29, 2014 at 6:37 am
    Hi, I'm trying to learn JavaScript fast.
  • Christopher Rust at Nov 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm
    On debian, I've run the following command to symlink `node` to the
    repo-installed `nodejs`:

    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node

    This will allow you to use the distribution's version of node while keeping
    compatibility with the other applications you've mentioned.
    The binary file for node.js project is called "node", and all scripts use
    that. This is not an issue in jslint/jshint, etc.

[...]

    New group rules:
    Old group rules:
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/87k32fspj9.fsf%40uw.edu.

    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    New group rules:
    Old group rules:
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/4139701417201528%40web21h.yandex.ru
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/4139701417201528%40web21h.yandex.ru?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Jérémy Lal at Nov 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm
    nodejs-legacy installs that symlink for you and conflicts with ax25-node
    package which installs a binary with the same name...