I need some suggestions about building a large project with node.js.

What I'm trying to do is a tourism related website, I expect to
receive a bunch of visits per day and serve a large amount of info for
users and clients.

I want to store info about places (longitude and latitude), photos,
comments, etc.
Also i'm planning to create a mobile app for android, and maybe iOS,
that uses info from my website.

I chose node.js for this task and MongoDB for data store.

I recently found some info about MEAN.js and I read a little bit the
docs and I found it great.

But I wonder if some of you have used MEAN.js before, if yes, would
you recommend it for a large project?

Is there any recomendation for a large project? I want to use a
framework because I will work with a team and I would like that we
work with the same logic.

Some things that we would like to use:
- Node.js and some framework
- MongoDB and Mongoose
- jquery (some plugins like parallax and others)
- Angular.js, react.js (maybe)
- Template engine compatible with angular.js
- Google maps API
- Passport
- websocket (maybe later)
- etc.

We would like to build an scalable website.

some suggestions?

I'll appreciate your comments, thanks in advance.

--
"El desarrollo no es material es un estado de conciencia mental"

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Matt at Nov 22, 2014 at 11:01 pm
    Any of those will work great. I work on a large project with Node, Angular
    and PostgreSQL (so not MongoDB, but some people are perfectly happy with
    Mongo - I don't personally recommend it myself but I'm strong with SQL, and
    understand the reasons people prefer Mongo).

    For server-side templates we just use Jade. It works well. But mostly it's
    just used to generate fairly static pages - Angular does all the heavy
    lifting.

    I don't recommend the Google Maps API for things like geolocation. The
    licensing is too restrictive for our usage, but YMMV. The license basically
    says you have to display a google map with any usage of it. That might work
    for you. We maintain our own mapping of postcode to lat/long for this
    purpose which has worked pretty well so far. I've yet to find a great cloud
    service for the queries we needed to be able to do, and postcodes/zips
    don't change that often.

    Matt.
[...]

    New group rules:
    Old group rules:
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/CADpTsTbEW3Kx1B68x2h1OmkLA4uPK%3Dcj3n%3DBTDtsPJaA1AP4tQ%40mail.gmail.com
    .
    Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Tom Boutell at Nov 23, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    We've built several sites just like that with the Apostrophe CMS:

    http://apostrophenow.org/

    Apostrophe is an open-source CMS powered by Node, MongoDB, and of course
    JavaScript on the browser side as well. We created it because we wanted to
    take the good ideas from our previous PHP-based incarnation of Apostrophe
    and apply them in a better, faster framework like Node.

    Check out these tourism-related sites we built with it:

    http://phillyfunguide.com/
    http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/

    These all take heavy local tourism traffic without any problem.

    We've built a lot more but these examples are the most similar to what you
    are doing I think.

    Apostrophe uses Mongodb and Express. It doesn't use Angular - we generate
    frontend pages with the Nunjucks templating language and a lighter
    JavaScript idiom of our own - but you can use it for your own components if
    you want to.

    Our existing map module would take you a long way toward finishing your
    project I suspect.
[...]

  • Jerome at Nov 24, 2014 at 10:09 pm
    Thanks for sharing the Apostrophe CMS project. I've been looking at the
    blogging platform Ghost, and was wondering if there was a more
    fully-featured CMS written in Node.
[...]

  • Carlos Carcamo at Nov 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm
    Thanks to all for answer, I will take a look to apostrophe...
    I will continue with MEAN.js for my project, I have another project on
    my head, I will take a look to apostrophe for my next project.

    thanks!!!

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/82219311-29e6-4769-b647-fd732570b852%40googlegroups.com.