I was wondering whether there is a way to setup node so that all project
dependencies are kept in a user repository and loaded from there? I'd live
to be able to have 2 projects, project1 and project2. Have project 2
depend on project 1. Then have the following workflow:

1) Update project 1
2) Install project 1 in the local repository
3) Run project 2

Project 2 will automatically get the updates from project 1 since it's
reading/loading it from the local repository folder (~/.npm ... or
something).

TIA and Happy New Year!
Ole

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Sam Roberts at Dec 31, 2013 at 10:09 pm
    Its hard to understand what you mean by "depend", but check out npm
    link. Sounds like it might be what you want.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Alex Kocharin at Dec 31, 2013 at 10:19 pm
    Hi Ole,=A0There is no such thing as "local repos= itory".=A0If you're developing public
    modules, just p= ublish them to npm registry, and run "npm update". If you're developing pri=
    vate modules, you might want to look at Sinopia server which provides a pri= vate npmjs
    registry. In any case, you will have to run "npm update" when yo= u publish a module.=A0That
    said, it is possible to ac= hieve something like that using symlinks. Just create a link from
    project2/= node_modules/project1 pointing at project1. "npm link" does something simil=
    Thanks - Those two options will definitely do the trick. I usually work with java, so I'm used to Maven which downloads all the dependencies into one central repsitory, and loads dependencies from there.

    I'm curious as to whether there are any drawbacks to doing something similar with node?

    Thanks again,
    - Ole

    There is no such thing as "local repository".
    If you're developing public modules, just publish them to npm registry, and run "npm update". If you're developing private modules, you might want to look at Sinopia server which provides a private npmjs registry. In any case, you will have to run "npm update" when you publish a module.
    That said, it is possible to achieve something like that using symlinks. Just create a link from project2/node_modules/project1 pointing at project1. "npm link" does something similar.
    // alex
    I was wondering whether there is a way to setup node so that all project dependencies are kept in a user repository and loaded from there? I'd live to be able to have 2 projects, project1 and project2. Have project 2 depend on project 1. Then have the following workflow:
    1) Update project 1
    2) Install project 1 in the local repository
    3) Run project 2
    Project 2 will automatically get the updates from project 1 since it's reading/loading it from the local repository folder (~/.npm ... or something).
    TIA and Happy New Year!
    Ole

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
    You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "nodejs" group.