Nothing profound here, but might be of interest to the hardware hacker/home
automation geeks in the crowd. I've been playing around with internet
connected devices a lot recently (it's actually my day job now<http://www.snupi.com/>)
and so have been playing with the various channels available on IFTTT, aka
IF This Then That (http://ifttt.com), which include some cool hardware like
the Philips HUE bulbs and Belkin's WeMo stuff. Ironically despite being
very hacker friendly in conception IFTTT doesn't actually make it easy to
invoke arbitrary code, but some clever folks had figured out how to hack in
a webhook proxy in via the existing WordPress integration. I've ported
their PHP version to node and it is available here:

https://github.com/femto113/node-ifttt-webhook

Once running on a (public) server, this service allows you to activate the
WordPress channel and then invoke almost any URL via a recipe. Running in
your DMZ you could then use it to hit stuff within your local network,
which is essentially how I'm using it. Feel free to try it out and post
any issues on Github.

On a side note I find this kind of an interesting showcase for node, since
the whole thing is only about 50 LOC (about 100 if you include the test
case). The test actually fires up it's own little http server to verify
that the webhook is being called, I can't even really wrap my head around
how I'd write that sort of test in another system.

--Ken

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Abhay Rana at May 22, 2013 at 2:18 am
    Hi,
        Nice work! When I wrote the original (in PHP), I was sorely tempted to
    do it in node, but thought that PHP would be be better suited because
    wordpress uses that. Nice to have some choice around :)

    --
    Abhay Rana
    http://about.me/n3m0

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at