Hello,

This actually isn't a problem with NodeJS per se. The problem actually
lies with my company, but I'm hoping that someone might have a way around
it. The problem is that trying to install a module with npm fails with a
CERT_UNTRUSTED error. I believe that the problem is that my company is
essentially performing a Man-In-The-Middle attack on all SSL communication.
  My guess is that by doing this they can block/capture communications
occurring through SSL. This makes sense in a Big Brothery kind of way. As
a result of this manipulation of the certificate path, NodeJS pitches a fit
and throws the error. My question is whether I can get NodeJS to trust the
certificates that my company has inserted in the certificate path so that I
can install the module as per usual. If not, can someone please detail or
point me in the direction of instructions to manually install a module.
  I'm trying to install uglify. Included below, please find the error that
I am receiving.

Sincerely,
Robert Eberhart

C:\>npm install uglify
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/uglify
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/uglify
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/uglify
npm ERR! Error: CERT_UNTRUSTED
npm ERR! at SecurePair.<anonymous> (tls.js:1283:32)
npm ERR! at SecurePair.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:92:17)
npm ERR! at SecurePair.maybeInitFinished (tls.js:896:10)
npm ERR! at CleartextStream.read [as _read] (tls.js:430:15)
npm ERR! at CleartextStream.Readable.read (_stream_readable.js:294:10)
npm ERR! at EncryptedStream.write [as _write] (tls.js:344:25)
npm ERR! at doWrite (_stream_writable.js:211:10)
npm ERR! at writeOrBuffer (_stream_writable.js:201:5)
npm ERR! at EncryptedStream.Writable.write (_stream_writable.js:172:11)
npm ERR! at write (_stream_readable.js:547:24)
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this log at:
npm ERR! <http://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues>
npm ERR! or email it to:
npm ERR! <npm-@googlegroups.com>

npm ERR! System Windows_NT 6.1.7601
npm ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\\\node.exe" "C:\\Program
Files\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js" "install" "uglify"
npm ERR! cwd C:\Windows\system32
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.3
npm ERR! npm -v 1.2.17
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Windows\system32\npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Ben Noordhuis at Apr 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm

[...]

    I don't think npm lets you specify a custom CA chain from the command
    line. You'll either have to hack npm or download the tarballs
    manually and have npm install those.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Trygve Lie at Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17 pm
    Hi

    This sounds very similar to some problems we had. We have an internal
    copy of npm we run against and after switching from 0.8.x to 0.10.x in
    development more or less all installs failed with CERT_UNTRUSTED errors.
    It was actually failing a bit random.

    But, resetting the ca config by setting it to null solved our problems.

    Try to run:
    ~/npm config set ca ""

    That worked for us.

    Trygve

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    Groups "nodejs" group.
    an email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Woon Cherk Lam at Dec 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    Thanks for the trick! It worked! :D

    npm ERR! <np...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>

    an email to nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Isaac Schlueter at Dec 28, 2013 at 3:28 am
    Wow, this thread is old. Anyway, to correct the earlier message for
    posterity, yes, npm does let you set the certificate authority via configs.
      It's the `ca` config.

    The new registry works out of the box with no ca config, or with the
    default npm that ships with recent builds of Node v0.10 and v0.8. Please
    upgrade if you are using an earlier version.

[...]

  • Pratik Sathaye at Feb 6, 2014 at 7:15 am
    I tried

        npm config set ca ""
        npm config set strict-ssl false

    and both not worked for me..

    I am trying to execute below command on my terminal

    echo "require('https').request({host: 'solarems.net'}, function(res){console.log(res.statusCode)}).end()" | NPM_DEBUG=https node

    And I am getting

    events.js:72
             throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event
                   ^
    Error: CERT_UNTRUSTED
         at SecurePair.<anonymous> (tls.js:1362:32)
         at SecurePair.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:92:17)
         at SecurePair.maybeInitFinished (tls.js:974:10)
         at CleartextStream.read [as _read] (tls.js:462:15)
         at CleartextStream.Readable.read (_stream_readable.js:320:10)
         at EncryptedStream.write [as _write] (tls.js:366:25)
         at doWrite (_stream_writable.js:221:10)
         at writeOrBuffer (_stream_writable.js:211:5)
         at EncryptedStream.Writable.write (_stream_writable.js:180:11)
         at write (_stream_readable.js:583:24)

    The above command works with *node (v0.6.12).*

    I have *node (v0.10.22)* and *npm (1.3.14)* installed on my system

    How can I resolve this ?

    Thanks

[...]

  • Alex Kocharin at Feb 6, 2014 at 8:08 pm
    =A0"npm config ..." sets npm settings, but you're using nod= e.js. Those are two entirely
    different applications.=A0
  • Pratik Sathaye at Feb 7, 2014 at 5:38 am
    Can you please change the host name here or delete the post for security
    issues.

    Thanks