The make install did not install them. There's no mention of them being
moved anywhere. node-gyp does not install them in any system directory, and
the node-gyp configure and install do not find them either (though, a `find
/` shows them in my home directory... ???). There are no notes on this
anywhere. Also, no notes that the apt package has removed the npm package,
and also the node-dev packages have been removed.

There's nothing in the migration guide about this. Nothing in the
changelog, nothing in the C++ Modules section in the docs. Nothing on the
node-gyp page or changelog. How are we supposed to find out about this
basic information? This make me quite nervous as to what else has been
omitted from the migration guide. I don't care if things have been changed
about, but having to hunt down and figure out exactly what has changed, and
where it's gone, is quite frustrating, and wasting everyone's time.

Can someone shed some insight?
Thanks

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Ben Noordhuis at Mar 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

    The make install did not install them. There's no mention of them being
    moved anywhere. node-gyp does not install them in any system directory, and
    the node-gyp configure and install do not find them either (though, a `find
    /` shows them in my home directory... ???). There are no notes on this
    anywhere. Also, no notes that the apt package has removed the npm package,
    and also the node-dev packages have been removed.
    The debian/ubuntu packages are not maintained by us.
    There's nothing in the migration guide about this. Nothing in the changelog,
    nothing in the C++ Modules section in the docs. Nothing on the node-gyp page
    or changelog. How are we supposed to find out about this basic information?
    By reading the v0.8.0 release notes, that's when node-gyp was introduced.
    This make me quite nervous as to what else has been omitted from the
    migration guide. I don't care if things have been changed about, but having
    to hunt down and figure out exactly what has changed, and where it's gone,
    is quite frustrating, and wasting everyone's time.

    Can someone shed some insight?
    Thanks
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Nabeel S. at Mar 19, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    Right, I've read through the release notes, and there's no mention of the
    development headers being removed from the make install (and I don't
    understand why)

    I've been using node-gyp to build and compile. 0.8 installed the
    development headers in the proper system paths. node-gyp is not doing that,
    and none of the development headers are being found. I do the `sudo
    node-gyp install`, which is supposedly installing the headers, but... it's
    not. I'm checking this on a clean system, and it's not placing them.

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    Google Groups "nodejs" group.
    To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/nodejs/CCCgFSFGUiU/unsubscribe?hl=en.
    nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Nathan Rajlich at Mar 20, 2013 at 4:15 am
    Can you 1. delete your ~/.node-gyp directory, and then 2. gist the output
    of `npm install --verbose`?

    Frankly, I've been getting a lot of strange error reports from people about
    the node-gyp header installation process not working correctly on v0.10.0,
    including myself :\ Hopefully I'll have some time to look into soon, it but
    it's a bug in node-core I'm afraid to admit.

    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Nabeel S. at Mar 20, 2013 at 4:34 am
    Sure can, thanks. I haven't been able to find out why the headers were also
    removed from the make install... that just seems like a strange decision to
    me, esp since other projects do that. For now, I just copied the headers
    manually into a local directory. Less than ideal, but need to get things
    going.

    https://gist.github.com/nshahzad/6f1359e9f5d9213aefd7

    Let me know how I can help

[...]

  • Nathan Rajlich at Mar 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    I mean it looks like things worked normally in your gist. There's no errors
    happening...

    FWIW, please try out v0.10.1 and see if it's more reliable.

    an email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.