I just started node.js development. I have been using vim casually. I
love the vim for the flexibility and speed. I heard lots of good things
using vim for node.js but vim doesnt seem to be good at navigating through
javascript objects (jump to another source file for a method/class
definition, etc). That is pretty important for me, esp picking up and
learning a new open source framework and I have got used to IDE like IDEA.
It can speed things up a lot when I need to know which source file a method
is from, e. I understand this is not an easy feat with Javascript given
the dynamic nature.

I have tried doctorjs but it's too buggy to deal with. Ctags doesnt seem
to do well with Javascript either. Am I out of choices? Or maybe there
are different approaches in navigating javascript objects that I'm not
aware of?? Any helps would be greatly appreciated...

Thx. J

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Tim Smart at Mar 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    I have ended up creating some custom ctags patterns. Nothing fancy but enough
    to jump around files in vim.

    https://gist.github.com/414e59e28b84e0fa07f2

    Tim.
[...]

  • Jeffrey Law at Mar 18, 2013 at 12:11 am
    Thanks for the tips. I am not familiar with ctags setup. How do you
    normally generate tags? And where do you store them? Any custom settings
    to .vimrc? Sorry for my noob questions. Thx again. J