Hello everyone!
I'm working on a new node.js open source project that I've been thinking about for a long time, and I thought if I could find coders in the development of software with me because my free time is limited. Project idea is create node.js based home automation framework with MongoDB that can be run for example in low-power RaspberryPi device as well as any other computer.  I've played with node.js and mongodb for a while and I believe they make it possible to implement a diverse, flexible, and stable home automation framework with user friendy interface and general API ( for example mobile dedicated client applications) . I know there is many other free home automation applications, but none of those contains features which I really want; e.g. fully http based RESTfull -architecture (json+html5) with noSQL db,  sensors data charts (+full history),  platform independent ( e.g. raspberry), scalable, ow and zwave support...  I've study several (home automation) protocols, like x10,insteon, onewire, zigbee, zwave and decide to use zwave for own home automation and onewire devices for measure temperatures etc. Onewire devices allows very cheap sensors network and with smart automation software it can control air condition unit automatically.. Okay, you know what I mean.. 'Home automation.' -term  contains so many things that it is hard to explain everything, also everyone has own needs and interests.  But my interest is now to get something work before summer ;) . If you are good html UI designer or otherwise interested about project please feel free to join project and discuss more. Also if you know any related project or node modules which might be useful please let me know.
Project page:
http://code.google.com/p/node-home-automation/

Best Regards,
JVA

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Tom at Mar 12, 2013 at 3:27 am
    Hi JVA:

    interesting project. could you create a discussion group or mail list?

    And, where are u?

    Best regards
    Tom
[...]

  • Jussi Vatjus-Anttila at Mar 12, 2013 at 5:10 am
    Hi Tom,
    Yes sure, I can create discussion group, but this forum could be good start.

    Best Regards,
    JVA / Finland

[...]

  • Jussi Vatjus-Anttila at Mar 16, 2013 at 8:22 am
    Here you are, discussion group:

    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/node-home-automation

    BR,
[...]

  • Sébastien Dolard at Mar 15, 2013 at 8:52 am
    Hi JVA,

    I'm actually working on exactly the same project, but as closed sources...

    In fact, I start writing a network monitoring tool 2 years ago, as
    a personal project (I'm working for a security Network French company, for
    the UI parts).
    This is a tool I need to check network resources availability, related to
    the firmware and policy quality of the day.
    With the time, I realize that the engine was enough generic to run other
    things than just do monitoring stuff.
    So It does, little by little.
    Today, my target is to build an automation (large scope) framework, for
    whatever it can do.
    I choose exactly the same tech you choose, and I just bought a Pi 2 todays
    ago. :)

    So what ?
    Let's talk ? :)

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Jussi Vatjus-Anttila at Mar 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    Hi Dolard!
    Nice to hear that there is people who are working with same subject
    and same technology. Are you interested to join my project or
    otherwise discuss about it? My job description also involves automation.
    I'm developing a pretty massive international test automation cloud to
    our company.. But back to the subject.. I would be very grateful if I
    could find some partners to my project who understand subject at least
    a little. Of course all good tips or sw libraries are also wellcome.
    One big interest is to get openzwave to work node inside.
    Maybe https://github.com/ekarak/Thrift4OZW is what i'm looking for.

    But next steps might be:

    Project management point of view:
    -Draw beautiful & descriptive logo for project :)
    -Create some nice 'slides' about project and its goals
    -Decide project schedule&requirements&'frames'
    *e.g. decide 'best' way to store actual sensors data (mongo/rrd/?).
    (currently all data goes to mongo)
    -Roles
    *My strongest areas are innovation, project management and programming
    (node/js/c/c++/..)
    ( UI design is not the strongest areas )
    *there is at least couple of my friends who are willing
    to be involved in the end-user perspective testers.

    Implementations point of view:
    -Current implementation review
    *Would you like to review roughly and give some feedback?
    -UI template design (jade + front end js)
    -finish/verify installation script
    -"application update" functionality directly from UI
    -attach zwave (e.g. openzwave/zwave.me) some how and its features..
    Do you have experience with zwave libraries ?
    -Create full prebuild SD card image for raspberry
    * because there is a lot of people who haven't any linux
    or programming skills but might be interested cheap and powerful
    dedicated automation server which support zwave as well as onewire,...

    If you would like to do some implementation for this project, just let me
    know
    what's your strengths and interests... :)