I'm a beginner with JavaScript language and Node.js framework.
I have a small issue with strings :)

When I use this :
var str = 'What\'s your name?';
console.log(str);

In the console the backslash is not showed ..
What's your name?

But if I put this string in a file, I have the backslash on the output ..

Why the backslash is not showed when using String ?

Thank you

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---

  • Eric Muyser at Feb 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    Hi Ismael,

    See: Escape Sequences in String Literals
    via
    https://www.inkling.com/read/javascript-definitive-guide-david-flanagan-6th/chapter-3/text

    Buy the book.

    Cheers

    On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Ismael Gorissen

    I'm a beginner with JavaScript language and Node.js framework.
    I have a small issue with strings :)

    When I use this :
    var str = 'What\'s your name?';
    console.log(str);

    In the console the backslash is not showed ..
    What's your name?

    But if I put this string in a file, I have the backslash on the output ..

    Why the backslash is not showed when using String ?

    Thank you

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Ismael Gorissen at Feb 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    Thank you for this reference, I will buy it ;)

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Daniel Rinehart at Feb 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    Node.js behaves the same way as JavaScript in the browser, that is the
    backslash (\) is used to escape the next character in a JavaScript string
    defined in code. In your example since you define the string using single
    quotes (') the backslash is needed to prevent the single quote in (I'm)
    from terminating the string. Reading a string from a file doesn't require
    escaping the single quote which is why the backslash is read in as is. To
    get the same value including the backslash as reading the file you would
    write the following (note the three backslashes in a row):

    var str = 'What\\\'s your name?';

    For general information on strings in JavaScript:
    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/strings.html

    For more detailed information on JavaScript string escaping:
    http://mathiasbynens.be/notes/javascript-escapes

    -- Daniel R. [http://danielr.neophi.com/]

    On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Ismael Gorissen

    I'm a beginner with JavaScript language and Node.js framework.
    I have a small issue with strings :)

    When I use this :
    var str = 'What\'s your name?';
    console.log(str);

    In the console the backslash is not showed ..
    What's your name?

    But if I put this string in a file, I have the backslash on the output ..

    Why the backslash is not showed when using String ?

    Thank you

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Ismael Gorissen at Feb 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    Nice it works now !! Thank you ;)