I've realised, with a mixture of confusion and frustration, that the latest
versions of node.js - 0.8.16 is what I'm using - no longer seems to support
the passing of file descriptors across UNIX domain sockets.

I was intending to use this functionality, along with an external "FD
factory app" to receive SOCK_RAW sockets for a particularly bespoke Linux
app, in order to capitalise on node.js's much acclaimed async I/O
framework. It was no surprise to me that creation of SOCK_RAW sockets per
se, wasn't supported, but I had held out some hope that if I could get the
external app to create the socket, call the appropriate setsockopt's then
pass the descriptor back to node.js, I would be able to make use of it in a
similar fashion to a UDP/Datagram type socket.

But alas, no, the 'fd' event, and even the 3-parameter socket.write() call
appear to have disappeared, thwarting my attempts. I realise that a lot of
work has gone on with child process support and clusters/workers, but this
isn't quite my use case. I was simply hoping to interface with an external
non-node.js app in order to receive an FD.

Does anyone with any experience in this area, or any suggestions? Is there
another way to do what I am trying to do? (Ultimately, use node.js with a
AF_UNIX SOCK_STREAM and an AF_INET SOCK_RAW on Linux).

-- Adam.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Ben Noordhuis at Dec 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm

[...]

    You could write a small add-on that uses uv_poll_init() and friends to
    watch the file descriptor.

    If you model it after the v0.4 IOWatcher interface, you'll make a few
    people quite happy.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/