Hi all,

I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use
the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which,
I believe, is also available on android.

Current code, details and implementation status are available on
https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.

This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
(currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
distribution) and images through FreeImage.

Comments and contributions are appreciated.

Cheers,
Luis Reis

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Nuno Job at Oct 21, 2012 at 3:48 am
    Congrats :)

    Sent from my iPhone
    I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which, I believe, is also available on android.

    Current code, details and implementation status are available on https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian distribution) and images through FreeImage.

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Luis Reis

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Kevin Donnelly at Mar 1, 2013 at 1:40 am
    Thanks, examples work on my Raspberry Pi.
    Trying to interop with node-easel, not successful so far.

    I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use
    the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which,
    I believe, is also available on android.

    Current code, details and implementation status are available on
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
    complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
    (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
    distribution) and images through FreeImage.

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Luis Reis

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Luis Reis at Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 am
    Hi Kevin,

    Can you tell me more about the problems you're having ?

    I'd like to take a look at that.

    Best,
    Luis

    Luis
    --

    On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Kevin Donnelly

    https://github.com/**luismreis/node-openvg-canvas<https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas>
    .

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
    complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
    (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
    distribution) and images through FreeImage.

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Luis Reis

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Kevin Donnelly at Apr 11, 2013 at 2:17 am
    This example has error

    require('node-easel');
    var Stage = createjs.Stage;
    var Shape = createjs.Shape;
    var Canvas = require('../lib/canvas'); //openvg canvas

    //Create the canvas to draw to
    var canvas = new Canvas(350, 350);
    var stage = new createjs.Stage(canvas);

    //Create graphics object
    var shape = new createjs.Shape();
    shape.graphics.beginFill("#FF0000").drawCircle(0,0,50);
    stage.addChild(shape);
    stage.tick();

    ../bin/node-canvas bball3.js
    node: /home/pi/.node-gyp/0.8.20/src/node_object_wrap.h:61: static T*
    node::ObjectWrap::Unwrap(v8::Handle<v8::Object>) [with T = Context2d]:
    Assertion `handle->InternalFieldCount() > 0' failed.

    On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Kevin Donnelly <kevin.l....@gmail.com<javascript:>

    email to nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Luis Reis at Aug 15, 2013 at 9:06 am
    Hi Kevin,

    Can you provide more info on that stack trace ? I can't see any of my code
    there.

    Even better, can you report it at:
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas/issues ?

    Thanks,
    Luis

    Luis
    --

    On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Kevin Donnelly
[...]

    http://groups.google.com/**group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en>

    ---
    Groups "nodejs" group.
    an email to nodejs+un...@**googlegroups.com.

    .

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Christopher Matheson at Mar 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    So this allows you to "draw" to the ras-pi screen from node as if it were a
    HTML5 canvas?

    If so thats prity amazingly impressive :) Is there such a thing that allows
    you to treat the screen output as just one big non-interactive webpage? i
    saw node-gtk & node-qt but they look a bit complex and i already know HTML

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Luis Reis at Mar 8, 2013 at 11:04 am
    Hi Christopher,

    Your first paragraph sums it up very well.

    You can check more information at the github page (
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas). I've also started to port
    some demos (this one works particularly well:
    https://github.com/luismreis/rpi-hypnos).

    It works as if your whole screen is a Canvas element, so you are limited to
    the Canvas API. It is currently non interactive, but if you can use use
    anything as an input to node, you can interact with it (in a non standard
    way). And since we are talking raspberry pi here, you can even read GPIO to
    enable interaction.

    Performance is good if you use mostly paths and avoid save/restore
    operations. (Work on optimizing this is on its way.)

    Cheers,
    Luis

    Luis
    --

    On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Christopher Matheson
    So this allows you to "draw" to the ras-pi screen from node as if it were
    a HTML5 canvas?

    If so thats prity amazingly impressive :) Is there such a thing that
    allows you to treat the screen output as just one big non-interactive
    webpage? i saw node-gtk & node-qt but they look a bit complex and i already
    know HTML

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Mark Losey at May 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    Works great on my PI. A newbie with nodejs but is it possible to write
    video to this canvas while animating other stuff over the top of the video?

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Luis Reis at Aug 15, 2013 at 9:04 am
    Hi Mark,

    node-openvg-canvas/node-openvg is built on top of EGL that in turn can or
    should manage that kind of composition.

    Currently, the OpenVG initialization is hardcoded to use just a full screen
    window, it uses the same parameters as required by the HTML5 Canvas (this
    is especially important for double buffering).

    One of my longer term goals is to de-hardcode that initialization, moving
    it from C to JS land, in order to have several windows with separate
    canvases on each. This is particularly useful for some animation techniques
    where you overlap several Canvas elements.

    I haven't tried anything on video rendering yet, but, if the OMX api's are
    properly exposed on the /opt/vc available APIs, I think that it's totally
    doable.

    So, long story short: You can do it with some work.

    Cheers,
    Luis

    Luis
    --

    Works great on my PI. A newbie with nodejs but is it possible to write
    video to this canvas while animating other stuff over the top of the video?

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Aaron ModMy Design at Aug 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm
    This does not allow the use of any video through HTML 5 tags yet does it?

    Thanks!
    I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use
    the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which,
    I believe, is also available on android.

    Current code, details and implementation status are available on
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
    complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
    (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
    distribution) and images through FreeImage.

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Luis Reis

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Greg Braman at Sep 4, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    Hi all,

    Quick question. Can I use openvg-canvas to load a remote *.js file over
    http? I would like to dynamically update the canvas with images that are
    added on-the-fly, and would like to load the javascript from a web
    application instead of locally (I want to leverage the hardware
    acceleration of openvg-canvas because the browser canvas is too slow). Do
    you know if this is possible?

    Thanks.
    I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use
    the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which,
    I believe, is also available on android.

    Current code, details and implementation status are available on
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
    complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
    (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
    distribution) and images through FreeImage.

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Luis Reis

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Chad Engler at Sep 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    Is webgl not an option?

    -Chad

[...]

  • Greg Braman at Sep 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    I was under the impression that webgl acceleration has not been implemented
    yet on the raspberry pi.
[...]

  • Luis Reis at Sep 16, 2013 at 8:07 am
    Hi Chad,

    The Raspberry Pi comes with an OpenGL/ES implementation, so I think it
    would be possible, and that Henri Tuhola (cc'ed) has already implemented
    bindings for it (don't currently know the state of that project).

    Anyway, you would always need a Canvas object and a 3d context
    implementation with native bindings to the underlying code/driver.

    Luis

    Quick question. Can I use openvg-canvas to load a remote *.js file over
    http? I would like to dynamically update the canvas with images that are
    added on-the-fly, and would like to load the javascript from a web
    application instead of locally (I want to leverage the hardware
    acceleration of openvg-canvas because the browser canvas is too slow). Do
    you know if this is possible?****

    ** **

    Thanks.

    I've just published on npm the openvg-canvas module. It allows you to use
    the Raspberry Pi's GPU as a HTML5 Canvas. It works on top of OpenVG which,
    I believe, is also available on android.****

    ** **

    Current code, details and implementation status are available on
    https://github.com/luismreis/node-openvg-canvas.****

    ** **

    This library was used to power the LXJS tweetwall and although it isn't
    complete it is already very usable. It supports truetype fonts via freetype
    (currently only dejavu fonts which are bundled on the raspbian
    distribution) and images through FreeImage.****

    ** **

    Comments and contributions are appreciated.****

    ** **

    Cheers,
    ****

    Luis Reis****

    -- ****

    ** **

    ** **

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    ---
    "nodejs" group.
    email to nodejs+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    ---
  • Luis Reis at Sep 16, 2013 at 8:01 am
    Hi Greg,

    Yes, it's possible, the LXJS tweetwall (
    https://github.com/luismreis/lxjs-tweetwall) app does precisely that for
    fetching avatars as you can see on
    https://github.com/luismreis/lxjs-tweetwall/blob/master/lib/image-manager.js
    .

    Currently you have to explicitly destroy the image on the GPU (you can se
    the code for that on the same file), but steps are being taken to make that
    work with the GC. Tip: Even if at some point in the future the garbage
    collector is used to destroy these resources, it will always be more
    effective/performing to do it by hand.

    Cheers,

    Luis