Hi All,

For various reasons, I may be switching to a Windows PC at home, but would
like to continue playing with Node.

I've been on a Mac for years. Am I likely to encounter any pitfalls or
gotchas doing node dev on Windows?

A buddy of mine reminded me that some of the add ons require a C compiler.
What are my options?

Jerome
Music <http://www.jeromecovington.com/music/> || Web
Dev<http://www.jeromecovington.com/dev/>

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Bradley Meck at Oct 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    Node-gyp supports Microsoft Visual C++, for the most part development is
    similar except for various permissions issues from what I have seen; and,
    as can be expected, C++ written purely for *nix will not work. Overall
    though for general use you should not see changes. We have seen people
    using Windows XP deploying to us. Let me know about your experience and I
    would love to see a blog article on how it goes :).

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Karl at Oct 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

    For various reasons, I may be switching to a Windows PC at home, but would
    like to continue playing with Node.

    I've been on a Mac for years. Am I likely to encounter any pitfalls or
    gotchas doing node dev on Windows?

    A buddy of mine reminded me that some of the add ons require a C compiler.
    What are my options?

    Jerome
    Music <http://www.jeromecovington.com/music/> || Web Dev<http://www.jeromecovington.com/dev/>

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Jerome at Oct 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm
    @Karl: Yeah I've also been considering dual boot to Ubuntu.

    If anyone has any tips to share regarding node dev on Ubuntu, I would also
    appreciate. I expect my experience there would be far more similar to prior
    experience with Mac. At least regarding familiarity with the command line,
    etc.
    Sounds like a great oportunity for switching to Linux, tougher learning
    curve but lots more of freedom and performance (and savings)

    For various reasons, I may be switching to a Windows PC at home, but
    would like to continue playing with Node.

    I've been on a Mac for years. Am I likely to encounter any pitfalls or
    gotchas doing node dev on Windows?

    A buddy of mine reminded me that some of the add ons require a C
    compiler. What are my options?

    Jerome
    Music <http://www.jeromecovington.com/music/> || Web Dev<http://www.jeromecovington.com/dev/>

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Chad Engler at Oct 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    I have a windows PC at home, but also own some raw metal I have an ESX farm on. I usually do nearly all of my node development via ssh/emacs on an Ubuntu Server VM. I have only used it on windows a couple times for small scripts, nothing major.

    -Chad

[...]

  • Karl at Oct 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm
    I'm actually too lazy to maintain 2 environments. As my site is new and not
    all that busy I develop on the same remote production server, different ssh
    user, different path, different (mirrored) db, different port# and so on
    but you save yourself issues with libraries and the rest of the config
    stuff. Then I test directly on the web from a Linux lappie and a windows
    lappie I have here with Chrome,FF and IE, if I'm happy I can deploy in
    minutes without avoidable surprises. Not very orthodox but I've been doing
    the same with my other programs (C/4GL) for years. For SSH I use puTTY on
    windows or Konsole on Linux (Debian Wheezy), installing on Ubunto should be
    similar. I still green with Node but I install the Node/npm package
    globally and the the rest in a user path. A new path for a new version of
    my program so running production sources are separate and so on...Hope this
    is useful K

[...]

  • John.tiger at Oct 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm