Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues to run even after the connection has been severed?

Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a daemon tool to keep a process going.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Chad Engler at Oct 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    Just use:
    forever start <script>
    And see what is running:
    forever list
    And stop a script:
    forever stop <index_or_script_name>
    -Chad

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Rhasson at Oct 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    use "screen"
    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Chad Engler at Oct 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    Forever daemonizes the processes, there is no need for screen. From the
    README:

    actions:
    start Start SCRIPT as a daemon
    stop Stop the daemon SCRIPT
    stopall Stop all running forever scripts
    restart Restart the daemon SCRIPT
    restartall Restart all running forever scripts
    list List all running forever scripts

    [Daemon]
    The forever process will run as a daemon which will make the target
    process start
    in the background. This is extremely useful for remote starting
    simple node.js scripts
    without using nohup. It is recommended to run start with -o -l, &
    -e.
    ex. forever start -l forever.log -o out.log -e err.log my-daemon.js
    forever stop my-daemon.js

    (bold added by me). I use this in production and it works fine.

    -Chad

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Chad Engler at Oct 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    Note we also use --pidFile so we can monitor the process with monit as
    well.

    -Chad

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Julian Lannigan at Oct 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    +1 for screen

    some links:
    http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux-screen-tutorial-and-how-to/
    http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html

    Julian Lannigan

    http://groups.google.com/**group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en>
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Anand George at Oct 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    nohup also seems a good option. Used with supervisor it also tracks code
    changes.

    nohup supervisor app.js &

    All logs are sent to nohup.out in the current folder by default.

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Julian Lannigan
    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/**group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en>
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Axel Kittenberger at Oct 17, 2012 at 4:09 am
    +2 for screen. I also run my node.js daemon in a "screen".

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Julian Lannigan
    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Matt at Oct 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm
    It does bother me a bit that people are running their node daemons in
    "screen". Can I at least presume this isn't for production?

    I highly recommend using runit - it restarts on failure and is very simple
    to install and use, and handles logging (including timestamping and log
    rotation), privilege dropping, and environment variable setting.
    +2 for screen. I also run my node.js daemon in a "screen".

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Julian Lannigan
    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Jimb Esser at Oct 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm
    Is there a problem with running in "screen"? I've very little actual Linux
    experience, but we've been very happy with running ours in "screen", lets
    us trivially get both the aspects of a daemon, automatic logging all output
    to one stream, and be able to connect to it interactively when things need
    to be debugged. In general, we still need something like runit to actually
    launch the screen'd node process, and re-launch it if it fails, but I don't
    see why running in a screen would be bad (but am by no means an expert =).

    On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Axel Kittenberger <axk...@gmail.com<javascript:>
    +2 for screen. I also run my node.js daemon in a "screen".

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Julian Lannigan
    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Matt at Oct 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    I'm no sysadmin, but I've created/worked on some extremely large systems
    (thousands of machines) and nobody running anything in production
    environments would ever use screen for keeping things running. It's just
    not designed for that. It has horrendous potential scenarios for disaster
    by people pressing the wrong keys. It doesn't deal with log rotation or
    storage or timestamping. It doesn't deal with restarting failed processes.
    It's designed for interactive use. It's in no way designed as a secure
    keep-alive system for daemons.

    Compare that to: http://smarden.org/runit/benefits.html

    I think if you hired a sysadmin (at least one worth what you pay him) he
    would replace your "screen" based system in a flash.

    On the other hand, I do use screen for everything else, and have it
    constantly logged in doing "tail -F" on all my logs, so I can instantly see
    what's going on in real time and pause and scroll back those logs if I need
    to. I just don't use it for keeping daemons running.
[...]

  • Chad Engler at Oct 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm
    Screen is really for having multiple terminals open with only 1
    connection, and for working in a space that doesn't get destroyed if you
    lose your connection. It isn't designed to keep a process running in a
    production environment. Upstart, monit, forever, and other solutions
    are.

    -Chad

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so
    that it continues
    to run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node
    app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could
    be used like a
    daemon tool to keep a process going.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    unsubscribe from this group, send email to
    nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Ico at Oct 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    It probably depends on your needs.

    Do you need to start your app after system reboot?
    Do you need to monitor your app and restart it if it hangs?

    And anyway, tmux is better than screen :).

    wrote:
[...]

    ico

    <http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en>
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Axel Kittenberger at Oct 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm
    I use it for development and testing-semi-production. You are very
    right there are far superior tools. If you take Williams question
    literally "I started something manually through ssh, but when I closed
    the connection it died". "screen" is the answer to exactly that
    problem. Maybe its good to tell, "screen is a solution to the problem
    you are seeing, but actually you want to take it beyond that", or
    maybe its just that

    Kind regards,
    Axel

    wrote:
[...]

  • William Myers at Oct 18, 2012 at 1:04 am
    Chad,

    I would agree with you and that is what I expected forever start <script>
    to do however when I disconnect ssh then forever is also exiting. With
    another ssh connection I check the running of the application with ps aux
    while I am simultaneously connect and after to confirm what I am seeing
    online with the app.

    Can you or someone else confirm this behavior? Otherwise, I will have to go
    with 'screen' as a possible solution or see if I can get vm console access
    to run forever in the 'actual' console.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Matt at Oct 18, 2012 at 3:52 am
    On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM, William Myers wrote:

    Chad,

    I would agree with you and that is what I expected forever start <script>
    to do however when I disconnect ssh then forever is also exiting. With
    another ssh connection I check the running of the application with ps aux
    while I am simultaneously connect and after to confirm what I am seeing
    online with the app.

    Can you or someone else confirm this behavior? Otherwise, I will have to
    go with 'screen' as a possible solution or see if I can get vm console
    access to run forever in the 'actual' console.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Mark Hahn at Oct 18, 2012 at 3:18 am
    +1 for monit -- I started using it recently and it was easy and
    full-featured.
    On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Matt wrote:

[...]

  • Clay Simmons at Oct 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm
    I like using upstart on Ubuntu to keep my node process running. Not sure if
    this is considered bad form, but I've been using it in production for about
    8 months without any issues.

    https://gist.github.com/3911822

    If you're using screen, not to keep your node processes running, but just
    for doing things in the shell, I would recommend giving tmux a try.
    On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:53:18 AM UTC-4, William Myers wrote:

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues to
    run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a daemon
    tool to keep a process going.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Jacob Groundwater at Oct 19, 2012 at 6:12 am
    +1 for upstart - I think using the platform native tools is good form

    It can also be complimented with
    [start-stop-daemon](http://man.he.net/man8/start-stop-daemon) when required.
    On Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:39:24 AM UTC-7, Clay Simmons wrote:

    I like using upstart on Ubuntu to keep my node process running. Not sure
    if this is considered bad form, but I've been using it in production for
    about 8 months without any issues.

    https://gist.github.com/3911822

    If you're using screen, not to keep your node processes running, but just
    for doing things in the shell, I would recommend giving tmux a try.
    On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:53:18 AM UTC-4, William Myers wrote:

    Is that a way to run forever in an ssh connection so that it continues to
    run even after the connection has been severed?

    Currently, I have only had success with $ nohup node app.js however I
    would like to use forever and thought that it could be used like a daemon
    tool to keep a process going.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Tim Caswell at Oct 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    I run all my sites using upstart.

    http://creationix.com/
    http://howtonode.org/
    http://nodebits.org/
    http://luvit.io/

    The sites themselves are mostly static content, so I don't need
    cluster or anything. The auto-restart directive in upstart keeps them
    running between crashes and server reboots perfectly.

    On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Jacob Groundwater
    wrote:
[...]

  • William Myers at Oct 20, 2012 at 1:09 am
    I appreciate everyone's great insight and I will go with upstart!

    wrote:
[...]

  • Jacob Groundwater at Oct 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm
    I have been using Foreman to run my jobs locally which can also export
    upstart jobs.

    Foreman is a ruby gem however, so over the weekend I decided to port a Node
    version of foreman. http://nodefly.github.com/node-foreman/

    I will be adding to the module over the next few weeks, if anyone would
    like to help field test it, it would be much appreciated. It can export
    upstart jobs that are not foreman dependent, so that should lower the risk
    of using it.

    Thanks!

    - Jacob Groundwater