Is there anyway to instruct a local package.json to install the
dependencies in the global node_modules dir? I am investigating using node
(grunt) as part of our build process for the front end, which developers
will use for local builds. I need to make it easy for developers to pull
down the package.json from our private repo and install the node build
dependencies globally so that the build can run on any machine without
requiring a developer to understand npm or node.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Nathan Rajlich at Aug 17, 2012 at 1:26 am
    You can add build dependencies to your "dependencies" section of the
    package.json file. If that package exposes a "grunt" executable then
    it will be available to your npm scripts like "preinstall" or
    "install", so you can execute it as if it were installed globally.
    Is there anyway to instruct a local package.json to install the dependencies
    in the global node_modules dir? I am investigating using node (grunt) as
    part of our build process for the front end, which developers will use for
    local builds. I need to make it easy for developers to pull down the
    package.json from our private repo and install the node build dependencies
    globally so that the build can run on any machine without requiring a
    developer to understand npm or node.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at