Does anyone know if it's within the realm of feasibility to run node on
IBM's AIX OS? This is IBM's UNIX OS running on IBM Power Systems hardware
with POWER7 chip architecture. I can't find any references to anyone doing
this so I'm thinking it might not work. I tried compiling the source and
it blew up, but I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's
just simply that it will never work because of a fundamental
incompatibility with IBM's hardware. Before I go any further does anyone
know if I'm crazy for trying this or if it theoretically should compile?

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Ben Noordhuis at Aug 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

    Does anyone know if it's within the realm of feasibility to run node on
    IBM's AIX OS? This is IBM's UNIX OS running on IBM Power Systems hardware
    with POWER7 chip architecture. I can't find any references to anyone doing
    this so I'm thinking it might not work. I tried compiling the source and it
    blew up, but I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's just
    simply that it will never work because of a fundamental incompatibility with
    IBM's hardware. Before I go any further does anyone know if I'm crazy for
    trying this or if it theoretically should compile?
    POWER is not a supported architecture. You could compile an x86 build
    and run that in an emulator but it won't be fast.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Rgmilone at Aug 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    Does anyone know if it's within the realm of feasibility to run node on
    IBM's AIX OS? This is IBM's UNIX OS running on IBM Power Systems hardware
    with POWER7 chip architecture. I can't find any references to anyone doing
    this so I'm thinking it might not work. I tried compiling the source and it
    blew up, but I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's just
    simply that it will never work because of a fundamental incompatibility with
    IBM's hardware. Before I go any further does anyone know if I'm crazy for
    trying this or if it theoretically should compile?
    POWER is not a supported architecture. You could compile an x86 build
    and run that in an emulator but it won't be fast.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Ben Noordhuis at Aug 13, 2012 at 7:57 pm