Has anyone used node.js as a process controller? I am looking for a
language that can manage a large group of processes. The global lock in
python has gotten me in trouble. Many threads, many CPU/cores and only one
thread runs at time.

Has anyone done any work to see if there are limits?

For instance, how is the IO managed for the childProcesses? Pipes? So I
know I need to hit each client to drain the pipe somewhat often. Buffers?
If so what size?

Obviously my needs are more systems and automation work. Not a web server.
Who else is using node JS as a generic tool?

Next step read the code? Hope is was meant to be read.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Mark Hahn at Jul 22, 2012 at 5:48 am
    The only limit to the number of child processes would be in the OS. Node
    has no trouble with a zillion.
    So I know I need to hit each client to drain the pipe somewhat often.
    No. Everything in node is an async callback. So you just write a handler
    that deals with the results and pass that handler as a callback. Using
    node in the beginning can be confusing because it is hard to switch to
    thinking in async instead of the sync you are used to.
    Who else is using node JS as a generic tool?
    I have switched to doing all my scripting in node so I have a bunch of
    non-web node tools. I've also written four or five servers in node. If
    you are like me, once you get some experience in node you won't want to use
    anything else. Also, once you understand node, be sure to check out
    coffeescript. It is awesome.
    Next step read the code?
    That would be really masochistic. There are literally hundreds of
    resources on the web to help you learn node. Google is your friend.
    Has anyone used node.js as a process controller? I am looking for a
    language that can manage a large group of processes. The global lock in
    python has gotten me in trouble. Many threads, many CPU/cores and only one
    thread runs at time.

    Has anyone done any work to see if there are limits?

    For instance, how is the IO managed for the childProcesses? Pipes? So I
    know I need to hit each client to drain the pipe somewhat often. Buffers?
    If so what size?

    Obviously my needs are more systems and automation work. Not a web
    server. Who else is using node JS as a generic tool?

    Next step read the code? Hope is was meant to be read.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Michael Pechner at Jul 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm
    Thanks you for the information.
    Thanks for the response, great info, but it would be great if someone has
    specific examples that quantified "zillions".
    Has anyone used node.js as a process controller? I am looking for a
    language that can manage a large group of processes. The global lock in
    python has gotten me in trouble. Many threads, many CPU/cores and only one
    thread runs at time.

    Has anyone done any work to see if there are limits?

    For instance, how is the IO managed for the childProcesses? Pipes? So I
    know I need to hit each client to drain the pipe somewhat often. Buffers?
    If so what size?

    Obviously my needs are more systems and automation work. Not a web
    server. Who else is using node JS as a generic tool?

    Next step read the code? Hope is was meant to be read.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Mark Hahn at Jul 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    By zillions I mean the overhead of node is nothing compared to the OS
    overhead of creating the process and how much memory is used. If you tried
    to measure it you would only be measuring the OS. To get an idea of how
    much the OS can do, look at apache or any other software that spawns
    processes.