I have a question about cpu usage, I noticed that my server cpu usage
increases all day as the server is being used but it never goes back down
until I restart the node process. I am wondering if there are any general
reasons why this would happen. See the screen shot below, the cpu keeps
rising until I restart the process then it immediately drops:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ad_6mJyUuQE/T7PFVsbhOjI/AAAAAAAAGK8/epVWZWZA0K4/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-05-16+at+11.18.13+AM.png>

Would memory usage (or memory leak) cause a cpu rise like this?

Any responses would be appreciated, thanks

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Mark Hahn at May 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    i would think that is an app logic problem. Can you do a profile at the
    end of the day?
    I have a question about cpu usage, I noticed that my server cpu usage
    increases all day as the server is being used but it never goes back down
    until I restart the node process. I am wondering if there are any general
    reasons why this would happen. See the screen shot below, the cpu keeps
    rising until I restart the process then it immediately drops:

    <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ad_6mJyUuQE/T7PFVsbhOjI/AAAAAAAAGK8/epVWZWZA0K4/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-05-16+at+11.18.13+AM.png>

    Would memory usage (or memory leak) cause a cpu rise like this?

    Any responses would be appreciated, thanks

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Darcy at May 17, 2012 at 10:37 am
    in my experiences, if there are memleaks, the gc will use more and more cpu
    time as the memory usage raise.
    I have a question about cpu usage, I noticed that my server cpu usage
    increases all day as the server is being used but it never goes back down
    until I restart the node process. I am wondering if there are any general
    reasons why this would happen. See the screen shot below, the cpu keeps
    rising until I restart the process then it immediately drops:

    <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ad_6mJyUuQE/T7PFVsbhOjI/AAAAAAAAGK8/epVWZWZA0K4/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-05-16+at+11.18.13+AM.png>

    Would memory usage (or memory leak) cause a cpu rise like this?

    Any responses would be appreciated, thanks
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Marcucio at May 17, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking it is GC too, because I do cache a lot
    of data, and my app's code is not executing any more than when the cpu is
    much lower.

    I will try to expire my data cache quicker to see if this fixes the issue.
    in my experiences, if there are memleaks, the gc will use more and more
    cpu time as the memory usage raise.
    I have a question about cpu usage, I noticed that my server cpu usage
    increases all day as the server is being used but it never goes back down
    until I restart the node process. I am wondering if there are any general
    reasons why this would happen. See the screen shot below, the cpu keeps
    rising until I restart the process then it immediately drops:

    <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ad_6mJyUuQE/T7PFVsbhOjI/AAAAAAAAGK8/epVWZWZA0K4/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-05-16+at+11.18.13+AM.png>

    Would memory usage (or memory leak) cause a cpu rise like this?

    Any responses would be appreciated, thanks
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Mark Hahn at May 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm
    There was another thread recently about a million objects in a hash
    bringing the cpu to its knees.