Hi all,
I got a strange problem with Forever .I've started a server, and
everything was fine at the beginning. After a few days I have checked
the process list (top) on my VPS, and I see 6 processes of my server.
It seems that forever forks the process for some reasons. Is it
normal?

Check out the screenshot. There is htop tree output of the process.
http://postimage.org/image/dfi5eknzn/

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Dave Clements at Apr 19, 2012 at 5:14 am
    I wonder if this related to my issue with forever, my hosts have killed all
    my node processes a few times, because of going over allotted memory - I
    stopped using Forever and the memory usage has stayed low.
    I got a strange problem with Forever .I've started a server, and
    everything was fine at the beginning. After a few days I have checked
    the process list (top) on my VPS, and I see 6 processes of my server.
    It seems that forever forks the process for some reasons. Is it
    normal?

    Check out the screenshot. There is htop tree output of the process.
    http://postimage.org/image/dfi5eknzn/
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Henry Oswald at Apr 19, 2012 at 7:46 am
    I have come to the conclusion forever is not quite production ready.
    Although I really like it, there are still lots of bugs, more than the
    maintainers have time to fix at the moment. I have reverted to using
    upstart which although not as nice is tried and tested.
    I wonder if this related to my issue with forever, my hosts have killed
    all my node processes a few times, because of going over allotted memory -
    I stopped using Forever and the memory usage has stayed low.
    I got a strange problem with Forever .I've started a server, and
    everything was fine at the beginning. After a few days I have checked
    the process list (top) on my VPS, and I see 6 processes of my server.
    It seems that forever forks the process for some reasons. Is it
    normal?

    Check out the screenshot. There is htop tree output of the process.
    http://postimage.org/image/dfi5eknzn/
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Nuno Job at Apr 19, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Nodejitsu runs on forever. How many servers do you have? :)

    Fair point on the issue, im just stating the obvious: forever is run in production in thousands of servers

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Matt at Apr 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    I prefer runit because the package handles logging, setting userid, and
    environment variable setting too among other things. It's really nice and
    easy to use and 100% stable.

    http://postimage.org/image/**dfi5eknzn/<http://postimage.org/image/dfi5eknzn/>
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    I'm running 3 servers on my VPS using forever. Each of the servers has
    multiple subprocesses running.

    Matt thx, I'll check out the runit.

    On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM, henry.osw...@sharelatex.com <

    henry.osw...@sharelatex.com> wrote:
[...]
  • Charlie Robbins at Apr 20, 2012 at 4:00 am
    According to avianflu memory leak issues are fixed in
    https://github.com/nodejitsu/forever/tree/daemon-patch. We haven't seen it
    really enough across our thousands of forever procs to make it worth
    merging into master, but it will probably land in a couple weeks.

    Forever is production-ready. Show me reproducible and scientific benchmarks
    that prove otherwise. I won't deny there are a couple of edge cases in
    extremely long-term processes, but this will all be resolved in
    node@0.8.xwhen we can **finally ditch** daemon.node and all the other
    native modules
    on which forever depends.

    --Charlie
[...]

  • Ec.developer at Apr 20, 2012 at 8:09 am
    I've tried runit, and it seems that forever is much more friendly :)
    I have restarted now all my servers on VPS once again, and will check
    the process list in a few days. When the server is started - there 4
    processes created at start. Hope this number of processes will not
    increase.
    really enough across our thousands of forever procs to make it worth
    merging into master, but it will probably land in a couple weeks.

    Forever is production-ready. Show me reproducible and scientific benchmarks
    that prove otherwise. I won't deny there are a couple of edge cases in
    extremely long-term processes, but this will all be resolved in
    n...@0.8.xwhen we can **finally ditch** daemon.node and all the other
    native modules
    on which forever depends.

    --Charlie

[...]
  • Marak Squires at Apr 19, 2012 at 7:52 am
    Possibly related to:

    https://github.com/nodejitsu/forever/issues/257

    I got a strange problem with Forever .I've started a server, and
    everything was fine at the beginning. After a few days I have checked
    the process list (top) on my VPS, and I see 6 processes of my server.
    It seems that forever forks the process for some reasons. Is it
    normal?

    Check out the screenshot. There is htop tree output of the process.
    http://postimage.org/image/dfi5eknzn/

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at