Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
apache.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

  • Tim Caswell at Mar 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm
    it depends on your system. On Ubuntu I use upstart and create a small
    script in /etc/init/SOMENAME.conf. And then you can use start, stop, and
    restart like `sudo start SOMENAME`

    Here is the upstart config for howtonode.org:

    description "Run node server"

    env
    PATH=/home/tim/nvm/v0.6.11/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

    respawn
    start on runlevel [23]

    script
    cd /home/tim
    exec node server.js > access.log 2>> error.log
    end script

    Because of the "start on runlevel [23]" line it's started whenever the
    server reboots. The "respawn" line restarts the node process if it dies.
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • theCole at Mar 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    Tim,

    Do you have the link to the blog where that was posted?

    -Cole

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • theCole at Mar 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Tim Caswell at Mar 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm
    Do you have the link to the blog where that was posted?

    -Cole

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Mikeal Rogers at Mar 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm
    I also use upstart. I *hate* upstart, but keeping your process up is something you want the kernel to be responsible for.
[...]

  • Flavio Del Bianco at Mar 15, 2012 at 9:43 am
    Ok once I createed the file /etc/init/mynode.conf what I have to do? I
    tryed immediatly to make "sudo start mynode" but server returns me :
    start: Unknown job: mynode
    What this it means?

    delbiancoflavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board:http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Nan huo at Mar 13, 2012 at 9:08 am
    forever is more easier to start with https://github.com/nodejitsu/forever
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Anand George at Mar 13, 2012 at 9:21 am
    Here's the article if that helps.

    http://howtonode.org/deploying-node-upstart-monit
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • G sambolic at Mar 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm
    Try with forever:
    http://blog.nodejitsu.com/keep-a-nodejs-server-up-with-forever

    Dana ponedjeljak, 12. ožujka 2012. 16:02:20 UTC+1, korisnik Flavio Del
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Flavio Del Bianco at Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    I can't install it for problems with versions. I tryed but I get errors
    after written the command

    npm install forever

    Dana ponedjeljak, 12. ožujka 2012. 16:02:20 UTC+1, korisnik Flavio Del
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Sirwan Qutbi at Mar 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm
    Don't use Forever .. load of crap.

    It only works with old versions.
    I can't install it for problems with versions. I tryed but I get errors
    after written the command

    npm install forever

    Dana ponedjeljak, 12. ožujka 2012. 16:02:20 UTC+1, korisnik Flavio Del
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Dave Clements at Mar 18, 2012 at 1:02 am
    they updated...

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Fadrizul H. at Mar 18, 2012 at 4:01 am

    I can't install it for problems with versions. I tryed but I get errors
    after written the command

    npm install forever

    Dana ponedjeljak, 12. ožujka 2012. 16:02:20 UTC+1, korisnik Flavio Del
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • Nico Kaiser at Mar 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    Well, forever does not help when you not only need something that restarts
    the script on error, but a real startup script (which starts the node
    service when the server reboots).

    I wrote a simple init script for this purpose (with logging and user
    switching) for sysvinit: https://github.com/nicokaiser/node-init

    Nico

    I can't install it for problems with versions. I tryed but I get errors
    after written the command

    npm install forever

    Dana ponedjeljak, 12. ožujka 2012. 16:02:20 UTC+1, korisnik Flavio Del
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.
    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • HG at Mar 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    Hi!

    I was just down this same road. This is the upstart script that I ended up
    with on my system (RH 6.1):
    #!upstart
    description "NodeApp - node.js HTTP-server"
    author "Me"

    # One example said that it's safer to start after mounts
    #start on startup
    start on started mountall
    stop on shutdown

    # respawn
    respawn
    # If the process is respawed more than COUNT times within an interval of
    INTERVAL seconds the process will be stopped and not restarted
    # respawn limit COUNT INTERVAL
    respawn limit 10 2

    # settings
    env APP_NAME="NodeApp"
    env APP_DIR="/home/nodeuser/dev/NodeApp"
    env APP_FILE="NodeApp.js"
    env RUN_AS="nodeuser"
    # This is setting for the app...
    env NODE_ENV="production"

    script
    export HOME="/home/${RUN_AS}/"
    export NODE_ENV

    echo $$ > /var/run/${APP_NAME}.pid
    # sudo doesn't work on redhat 6.1
    # exec sudo -u nodeuser /usr/local/bin/node
    /home/nodeuser/dev/NodeApp.js >> /var/log/NodeApp.log 2>&1
    exec su --session-command="/usr/local/bin/node ${APP_DIR}/${APP_FILE}"
    /var/log/${APP_NAME}.log 2>&1 ${RUN_AS}
    # root works also - but you don't want to run as root, right
    # echo $$ > /var/run/NodeApp.pid
    # export HOME="/root"
    # exec /usr/local/bin/node /home/nodeuser/dev/NodeApp/NodeApp.js >>
    /var/log/NodeApp.log 2>&1
    end script

    pre-start script
    echo "[`date -u +%Y-%m-%dT%T.%3NZ`] (sys) Starting" >>
    /var/log/${APP_NAME}.log
    end script

    pre-stop script
    rm /var/run/${APP_NAME}.pid
    echo "[`date -u +%Y-%m-%dT%T.%3NZ`] (sys) Stopping" >>
    /var/log/${APP_NAME}.log
    end script

    Start with 'sudo start NodeApp' and stop with sudo stop... When you develop
    this, do not enable respawn until it works otherwise. You can run it as
    root if you want (if you need port 80), but otherwise, I think it's much
    better to run as some other user. Yes, it could be cleaner, but I'll hope
    you get the important points.
    Hi, I'm learning nodejs and I had a doubt in how I keep alive a
    webserver without running it everytime like $ node myserver.js? and
    how it can connect alone every time the server get on like it does
    apache.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
    For more options, visit this group at

    HG.

    --
    Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
  • George Snelling at Apr 4, 2012 at 3:24 am

    our startup script is something like this:

    nohup nodemon <app> >>/var/log/app.log 2>&1 &

    Then in our main app startup function, we have this charming little hack:

    process.on('uncaughtException', function(err) {
    console.error(err.stack||err)
    if (serverStarted) {
    fs.writeFileSync('./crash.js', '// App crashed ' + Date() + '\n\n' +
    err.stack)
    }
    process.exit(1)
    })

    The vast majority of our server crashes are due to bugs in our code, not
    external problems like hardware, and this works fine for those. If my job
    were on the line to keep the server alive no matter what I would figure out
    upstart or monit, but they both make my head hurt, and for the 90% case,
    this does the job.

    Cheers!

    -George