Hi folks,

Im comming from Java & .NET and just starting a new private project using
mongoid and RoR.

I read on the following page from MongoDB MongoDB + RoR<http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/tutorial/getting-started-with-ruby-on-rails-3/>,
that i have to

require 'rubygems'require 'mongo'

so that bson_ext is loaded. Can i instead of requiring these two, simply
add the following to my gem file:

gem "bson_ext", "1.8.2"

or is this also not necessary?

Thanks for your help
Damir

--

---

  • Durran Jordan at Feb 6, 2013 at 10:49 am
    Mongoid does not currently support the 10gen driver and bson gems - this
    was removed in version 3.0.0. It has it's own driver (Moped) which has it's
    own BSON implementation.

    So to use Mongoid in a Rails application the only thing that needs to be in
    your Gemfile is:

    gem "mongoid"

    This will automatically include Moped and out BSON implementation.

    We've got a joint effort started to rewrite the 10gen driver and BSON gems,
    which hopefully will be done in time for Mongoid 4 where we can go back to
    supporting to 10gen driver, but it won't be supported until at least that
    point in time.

    Im comming from Java & .NET and just starting a new private project using
    mongoid and RoR.

    I read on the following page from MongoDB MongoDB + RoR<http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/tutorial/getting-started-with-ruby-on-rails-3/>,
    that i have to

    require 'rubygems'require 'mongo'

    so that bson_ext is loaded. Can i instead of requiring these two, simply
    add the following to my gem file:

    gem "bson_ext", "1.8.2"

    or is this also not necessary?

    Thanks for your help
    Damir

    --

    ---

    ---
  • Damir Kusar at Feb 6, 2013 at 11:47 am
    Thanks Durran for your fast reply.