I am just getting started with MongoDB. I have a project in mind that I
need web and MongoDB hosting for.

I'll be programming in PHP 5. I prefer apache. I'm way more experienced in
windows, but I understand linux (if VPS) is probably more likely to be the
best option.

The intent of the project is that it will hopefully go on to serve a large
audience, but starting out is starting out and I just need to get moving as
I have some deadlines to be met. I was looking at a2hosting.com as a
potential option. Anyone concur? Anyone say that is a bad idea? Should I do
a web host separate from my MongoDB (ie. any old webhost + a mongolab.com
set up?)

There is a lot out there to consider. Please advise!

See also the IRC channel -- freenode.net#mongodb

Search Discussions

  • Chris Tacy at Nov 14, 2012 at 10:53 pm
    Hey Dan

    You might want to consider using a PaaS solution like Heroku or AppFog.
    PaaS provides the ability to "pay as you grown" which sounds like a good
    fit for your needs.
    Both the two mentioned have MongoDB support as well as Mongo-as-a-Service
    integration from folks like MongoLab.

    -c
    I am just getting started with MongoDB. I have a project in mind that I
    need web and MongoDB hosting for.

    I'll be programming in PHP 5. I prefer apache. I'm way more experienced in
    windows, but I understand linux (if VPS) is probably more likely to be the
    best option.

    The intent of the project is that it will hopefully go on to serve a large
    audience, but starting out is starting out and I just need to get moving as
    I have some deadlines to be met. I was looking at a2hosting.com as a
    potential option. Anyone concur? Anyone say that is a bad idea? Should I do
    a web host separate from my MongoDB (ie. any old webhost + a mongolab.comset up?)

    There is a lot out there to consider. Please advise!
    See also the IRC channel -- freenode.net#mongodb
  • Francium Kriheli at Nov 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm
    ServerGroove also does MongoDB hosting specifically for PHP applciations

    http://www.mongodbhosting.com/
[...]

  • Jm at Nov 15, 2012 at 11:00 am
    I've been using CloudControl PaaS for about a year. Their MongoDB support
    is nowadays actually provided by MongoLab, which is nice.

    Pros:
    - Using source control (git/bzr) to upload/update apps was weird at first,
    but it's actually quite nice, and if you use git or bazaar for version
    control anyway then it's totally nice. I use Tortoise Bazaar on Windows.
    - Generally Just Works (tm)
    - Customer support has been exceptional
    - Scales easily, and starts from free.
    - Very easy to use once you learn the basic tools and concepts.

    Cons:
    - Documentation is a bit sparse
    - Their online management tools and website are... I wouldn't say very well
    thought or complete.
    - PaaS limits, like no filesystem access etc. which might or might not be a
    problem

    I can recommend that. Of course a good VPS is always good option, but might
    be pricey if you want to scale up easily.

    Regarding the "any webhost + mongolab" or similar option, I think for most
    apps it is beneficial to keep the app server (PHP) and mongodb close to
    each other so that the communication between them does not introduce
    latency to the application and keep PHP execution times low if it needs to
    access MongoDB much. In VPS you can have them on same hardware, which is of
    course very fast. In the case of cloudcontrol (+their mongolab system) I
    think behind the scenes they all run on Amazon AWS Europe datacenters
    (which I think might also mean it's a bit slower to access from the US, but
    not sure if it makes much difference).