Hi all, I am running a mongo database given to me by our server guys.
The machine is a MacBook Pro core i7 with 16G ram, and running Mac OS
X 10.7.2.

The database startup scripts I'e been given start up a number of
sharded databases. At least that's my current understanding.

In my Activity Monitor I can see quite a number of Mongosd instances.
The odd thing is that some of those instances are constantly running
at about %6 CPU. When I inspect those instances I find that they are
the first started instances of each database.

I've asked the server guys who put this together about it and they
tell me that on their linux boxes Mongo uses almost nothing when idle.
They cannot explain the CPU usage.

Anyone know what might be going on?

  • Tyler Brock at Dec 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm
    What does the mongod log of the one that is bugging out show?

    -Tyler
    Hi all, I am running a mongo database given to me by our server guys.
    The machine is a MacBook Pro core i7 with 16G ram, and running Mac OS
    X 10.7.2.

    The database startup scripts I'e been given start up a number of
    sharded databases. At least that's my current understanding.

    In my Activity Monitor I can see quite a number of Mongosd instances.
    The odd thing is that some of those instances are constantly running
    at about %6 CPU. When I inspect those instances I find that they are
    the first started instances of each database.

    I've asked the server guys who put this together about it and they
    tell me that on their linux boxes Mongo uses almost nothing when idle.
    They cannot explain the CPU  usage.

    Anyone know what might be going on?
  • Derek at Dec 8, 2011 at 10:54 pm
    Hi, I've checked all the log files and none of them show any activity.
    Whatever mongo is doing, it's not logging anything. The server guys
    have also had a look and don't know why it's consuming CPU.

    -Derek

  • Tyler Brock at Dec 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm
    Can you provide the output of mongostat?

    Does the CPU fluctuate up and down to %6 or stay pegged?

    Thanks.

    -Tyler