I ran a couple scripts that made some system wide database changes.

About 15 minutes after, I tried to update a single file, but the write
would not go through as I have it set in safe mode. The getlasterror
is timeout.

Is my database corrupt? Stale? Will I be able to recover my data? I
took a snapshot of the databasebefore I ran my scripts. Should I
restore the database to this point?

I am using mongo version 1.8.2 with replica sets (2 servers, 1
arbiter).

Thanks in advance,
Ed

  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 5:55 am
    So it turns out, the writes are actually getting processed. When I
    read the data I tried to update, the updates are actually successful..
    Could this be a replicate set issue, with my w=2 settings?
    I ran a couple scripts that made some system wide database changes.

    About 15 minutes after, I tried to update a single file, but the write
    would not go through as I have it set in safe mode. The getlasterror
    is timeout.

    Is my database corrupt? Stale? Will I be able to recover my data? I
    took a snapshot of the databasebefore I ran my scripts. Should I
    restore the database to this point?

    I am using mongo version 1.8.2 with replica sets (2 servers, 1
    arbiter).

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
  • Nat at Nov 10, 2011 at 6:57 am
    It could be. Did you check whether the slave caught up with the master? If it is far behind, it could explain why you are getting timeout.
    So it turns out, the writes are actually getting processed. When I
    read the data I tried to update, the updates are actually successful..
    Could this be a replicate set issue, with my w=2 settings?
    I ran a couple scripts that made some system wide database changes.

    About 15 minutes after, I tried to update a single file, but the write
    would not go through as I have it set in safe mode. The getlasterror
    is timeout.

    Is my database corrupt? Stale? Will I be able to recover my data? I
    took a snapshot of the databasebefore I ran my scripts. Should I
    restore the database to this point?

    I am using mongo version 1.8.2 with replica sets (2 servers, 1
    arbiter).

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm
    I replaced the backup with a new server with an empty database, but I
    am still getting timeout. I have autoresync set.

    However, previously my backup database log was seriously out of date.
    Now it seems to be more in tune with the primary(I see
    replSetHeartBeat).

    The main issue in the primary logs seems to be this:

    Thu Nov 10 07:35:41 [conn5] killcursors: found 0 of 1
    Thu Nov 10 07:35:41 [conn5] killcursors killcursors 0ms
    Thu Nov 10 07:35:42 [conn5] query DOCUMENT_NAME reslen:7594 nreturned:
    101 0ms
    Thu Nov 10 07:35:42 [conn5] getmore DOCUMENT_NAME cid:
    4132912569318505821 getMore: {} bytes:1656760 nreturned:21208 83ms
    Thu Nov 10 07:35:42 [conn5] killcursors: found 0 of 1
    Thu Nov 10 07:35:42 [conn5] killcursors killcursors 0ms

    These 6 lines keep repeating over and over again.

[...]

  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm
[...]

  • Scott Hernandez at Nov 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm
    What driver/language are you using? Those messages are just
    informational; you may want to turn down your logging levels.
[...]

  • Scott Hernandez at Nov 10, 2011 at 12:43 pm
    Are you using wtimeout so it doesn't wait forever if replication is
    very behind, and can't catch up for your call?

    http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/getLastError+Command#getLastErrorCommand-%7B%7Bw%7D%7D
    So it turns out, the writes are actually getting processed. When I
    read the data I tried to update, the updates are actually successful..
    Could this be a replicate set issue, with my w=2 settings?
    I ran a couple scripts that made some system wide database changes.

    About 15 minutes after, I tried to update a single file, but the write
    would not go through as I have it set in safe mode. The getlasterror
    is timeout.

    Is my database corrupt? Stale? Will I be able to recover my data? I
    took a snapshot of the databasebefore I ran my scripts. Should I
    restore the database to this point?

    I am using mongo version 1.8.2 with replica sets (2 servers, 1
    arbiter).

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm
    I was not using wtimeout in my writes. Is their a way to kill these
    infinite loops? Can I add a wtimeout at the connection level, or
    should I always add it at the write level?
[...]

  • Scott Hernandez at Nov 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm
    Most drivers let you specify the WriteConcern, or these options, at
    the Connection/DB/Collection/operation level. You will need to look at
    the docs for your language.
[...]

  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm
    Thanks. What about the infinite loop. How do I stop that? I have
    already stopped and started
    The Mongod process. Should I revert my database back to a snapshot?
[...]

  • Scott Hernandez at Nov 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm
    You should change your code to handle these types of timeouts and
    retries to avoid problems like that. There is no infinite loop on the
    server, or via replication, so I can't be more specific without seeing
    your code and understanding your use-case.
[...]

  • Ed Sullivan at Nov 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm
    It seems as if the issue was that my arbiter went offline...