Hi Guys, we have written a tool in our company that allows fast
communication between golang and PHP. It's golang socket server, and php
persistent sockets client. Main reason for writing it was that some
algorithms in PHP are like 1000-10k times slower than in go, and writing a
short module is much easier to do than writing PHP extension, so it could
speed up PHP code a lot.

Main reason for doing socket server is that's much faster than HTTP calls.
We're thinking about open-sourcing it, anyone would be interested?

  • John Souvestre at Apr 27, 2016 at 5:59 pm
    Yes! I have a friend who uses PHP but is interested in Go. Being able to mix them would make his transition easier.

    John

         John Souvestre - New Orleans LA

    Hi Guys, we have written a tool in our company that allows fast communication between golang and PHP. It's golang socket server, and php persistent sockets client. Main reason for writing it was that some algorithms in PHP are like 1000-10k times slower than in go, and writing a short module is much easier to do than writing PHP extension, so it could speed up PHP code a lot.

    Main reason for doing socket server is that's much faster than HTTP calls. We're thinking about open-sourcing it, anyone would be interested?

  • Konstantin Khomoutov at Apr 28, 2016 at 4:01 pm

    Hi Guys, we have written a tool in our company that allows fast
    communication between golang and PHP. It's golang socket server, and
    php persistent sockets client. Main reason for writing it was that
    some algorithms in PHP are like 1000-10k times slower than in go, and
    writing a short module is much easier to do than writing PHP
    extension, so it could speed up PHP code a lot.

    Main reason for doing socket server is that's much faster than HTTP
    calls. We're thinking about open-sourcing it, anyone would be
    interested?
    Can you elaborate on what exactly do you mean by "socket server"?
    I'm confused because most of the time HTTP is done over sockets
    (usually TCP socket but Unix-domain sockets are not too uncommon),
    so when you contrast HTTP and sockets it sounds like apples to oranges
    to me.

    Do you mean you have implmented some soft of binary protocol (may be
    RPC-like) over sockets?

  • Slawomir Pryczek at Apr 28, 2016 at 5:24 pm
    @John: that's great, will post a link to repo and some docs soon... i think
    next week should be ready.

    @Konstantin: Yes that's RPC-like binary protocol and server that allows you
    to expose golang methods via tcp / udp sockets, and call them from
    websites, php app, etc. So in 5-10 minutes you can setup a system to port
    your cpu-intensitive code from php, perl, python, etc. to golang. So it's
    not just RPC, but full server.

  • Slawomir Pryczek at May 1, 2016 at 4:57 pm
    Hi Guys,
    today the project went live, i invite everyone to contribute & use it...
    There is PHP client, Golang RPC-like server, and some examples how to
    communicate.

    https://github.com/slawomir-pryczek/HSServer

    And here you have server-status screen
    http://screencast.com/t/Slbc9VFZZ