I'm having a little bit of trouble with OS compatibility for a Go binary,
maybe someone else has seen this and can help point me to a solution?

I've got a program that is compiled on a FreeBSD-10.1 RELEASE box (amd64
arch), which fails to run on FreeBSD-9.1 RELEASE when I compile it with
Go1.5.2. Previously it worked fine with Go1.3.3, but after upgrading to 1.5
I started seeing *exec format error *when trying to start it on a 9.1
machine. Was there a change between the Go1.3 and Go1.5 releases that makes
the binary format incompatible on FreeBSD-9.1? I didn't see anything in the
release notes that suggests this is expected.

FYI, running the *file* command on the binary produces the same output for
both compiled versions, shown below:

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked
(uses shared libs), not stripped

If anyone has any ideas here I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
John

  • Tamás Gulácsi at Mar 31, 2016 at 6:29 pm
    Use the latest Go, ön the oldest env you want to use!

  • Steven Hartland at Apr 1, 2016 at 12:09 am
    It sounds like a missing dependency, check /var/log/messages to see if
    it provides any insight.

    Also see what ldd <binary> produces.
    I'm having a little bit of trouble with OS compatibility for a Go
    binary, maybe someone else has seen this and can help point me to a
    solution?

    I've got a program that is compiled on a FreeBSD-10.1 RELEASE box
    (amd64 arch), which fails to run on FreeBSD-9.1 RELEASE when I compile
    it with Go1.5.2. Previously it worked fine with Go1.3.3, but after
    upgrading to 1.5 I started seeing *exec format error *when trying to
    start it on a 9.1 machine. Was there a change between the Go1.3 and
    Go1.5 releases that makes the binary format incompatible on
    FreeBSD-9.1? I didn't see anything in the release notes that suggests
    this is expected.

    FYI, running the /file/ command on the binary produces the same output
    for both compiled versions, shown below:
    *
    *
    ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically
    linked (uses shared libs), not stripped**
    *
    *
    *
    *
    If anyone has any ideas here I'd greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks,
    John
  • John Potocny at Apr 1, 2016 at 9:27 pm
    The output of ldd is unchanged between the Go1.3 and Go1.5 versions, I've
    included it below for reference though:

    libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x800be3000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x800e08000)

    I don't think it's a missing dependency issue, the exec format error
    implies that the binary isn't recognized by the kernel as a valid
    executable. To me that points to a kernel (or maybe compiler?) issue.