Hey everyone,

I wonder is it enough to use goroutine if I want to download hundreds large
file from internet. For example my cpu has 8 cores, and my GOMAXPROCS is 8,
if I download 20 files and each download using an independented goroutine,
will all 20 download start together? Or I can have at most 8 download
together at one time?

Thanks,

Jianyang

  • Ian Lance Taylor at Mar 1, 2016 at 12:58 am

    I wonder is it enough to use goroutine if I want to download hundreds large
    file from internet. For example my cpu has 8 cores, and my GOMAXPROCS is 8,
    if I download 20 files and each download using an independented goroutine,
    will all 20 download start together? Or I can have at most 8 download
    together at one time?
    Assuming your processor is faster than your network, all 20 downloads
    will start and run in parallel.

    Ian

  • Shawn Milochik at Mar 1, 2016 at 1:03 am
    Also, you don't need to set GOMAXPROCS anymore -- that was fixed with Go
    1.5.