My name is Charles Weitzer. I am the senior recruiter at Voleon Capital
Management LP, a quantitative hedge fund located in Berkeley, California.
We would like to hire a senior software engineer as soon as possible.

Voleon’s founders previously worked together at one of the most successful
quantitative hedge funds in the world. Our CEO has a PhD in Computer
Science from Stanford and has been CEO and founder of a successful Internet
infrastructure startup. Our Chief Investment Officer has a PhD in
Statistics from Berkeley. Voleon’s team includes PhD's from leading
departments in statistics, computer science, and mathematics. We have made
several unpublished advances in the field of machine learning and in other
areas as well.

Here is our formal job description:

* Senior Software Engineer *

Technology-driven investment firm employing cutting-edge
statistical machine learning techniques seeks an exceptionally capable
software engineer. You will architect and implement new production trading
systems, machine learning infrastructure, data integration pipelines,
and large-scale storage systems.

The firm researches and deploys systematic trading strategies designed
to generate attractive returns without being dependent on the performance
of the overall market. Join a team of under 30 people that includes a
Berkeley statistics professor as well as over ten PhD's from Berkeley,
Chicago, CMU, Princeton, Stanford, and UCLA, led by the founder and CEO of
a successful Internet infrastructure technology firm. The firm’s offices
are walking distance from BART and the UC Berkeley campus in downtown
Berkeley, California. We have a casual and collegial office environment,
weekly catered lunches, and competitive benefits packages.

We seek candidates with a proven track record of writing
correct, well-designed software, solving hard problems, and delivering
complex projects on time. You should preferably have experience designing
and implementing fault-tolerant distributed systems. Experience with
building large-scale data infrastructure, stream processing systems,
or latency-sensitive programs is a bonus.

We are growing rapidly. Willingness to take initiative and a
gritty determination to productize are essential.

Required experience:

- developing with GO/C/C++/Python in a Linux environment with a focus
on performance, concurrency, and correctness.

- experience with functional programming environments (Haskell, Erlang,
others).
- working in TCP/IP networking, multi-threading, and server development.
- working with common Internet protocols (IP, TCP/UDP, SSL/TLS, HTTP,
SNMP, etc.).
- architecting and designing highly available systems.
- architecting and designing large-scale data management infrastructure.
- working in large codebases and building modular, manageable code.

Preferred experience:

- debugging and performance profiling, including the use of tools such
as strace, valgrind, gdb, tcpdump, etc.
- working with build and test automation tools.
- working with well-defined change management processes.
- diagnosing RDBMS performance problems, exploiting indexing, using
EXPLAIN PLAN, optimizing at the code layer, etc.
- working with messaging queues (RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.) as well
as distributed caching systems.

Interest in financial applications is essential, but experience in
finance is not a primary factor in our hiring.

Benefits and compensation are highly competitive.

The above job description is just a starting point in terms of possible
duties and seniority. We can be very flexible for the right person.

If you are interested, please apply on our website:
http://voleon.com/apply/

If you have any questions or if you know of anyone who might be interested,
let me know the best way to get in touch and we can discuss details.

Thank you,

Charles Weitzer

Senior Recruiter

Voleon Capital Management LP