Hello Everyone,

I'm curious if it is possible to write an all-golang background service for
android. Reviewing https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/mobile/app it seems we
may only have options to launch a golang android application from user
interaction in the foreground.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

  • Daniel Skinner at Nov 24, 2015 at 4:45 am
    The short answer is no. This isn't a limitation of gomobile but rather of
    the platform. At minimum, you would need a Service class implementation to
    load output lib of gobind and perform work. The longer answer is you could,
    but not in a way that's easily redistributable and the exact details would
    be dependent on the device manufacturer and model.
    I'm curious if it is possible to write an all-golang background service
    for android. Reviewing https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/mobile/app it
    seems we may only have options to launch a golang android application from
    user interaction in the foreground.

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

  • C Banning at Nov 24, 2015 at 12:51 pm
    You can run linux-arm services on Android but it's a bit of a kludge.

    1. root the device

    2. install a console app that gives you "su" access

    3. install your binary in a file-system with execute permission

    4. manually start your service: > my_app &

    You'll be missing a lot of useful commands - iinitd, grep, etc. - by
    default; so you've got to add additional utilities to make it really
    useful. But I've done this to demo Go services running on an Android media
    server. (The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B will let you deploy to a linux-arm
    environment comparable to many Android devices effortlessly.)