Hello All,

I have several web applications right now that are little more than perl
scripts responding with JSON data to requests via apache/mod_perl. I am
starting to port some of these to golang responders behind nginx. In the
end I hope to have several, separate go applications running on separate
ports, proxied by nginx.

Is FastCGI even required here? Is there any reason not to simply reverse
proxy w/ nginx and skip FastCGI altogether?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

John

  • Milan P. Stanic at Aug 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm

    I have several web applications right now that are little more than perl
    scripts responding with JSON data to requests via apache/mod_perl. I am
    starting to port some of these to golang responders behind nginx. In the
    end I hope to have several, separate go applications running on separate
    ports, proxied by nginx.

    Is FastCGI even required here? No, IMHO.
    Is there any reason not to simply reverse proxy w/ nginx and skip
    FastCGI altogether?
    IMHO you don't need FastCGI. Reverse proxy is simple and fast.
    Or am I missing something?
  • Matt Silverlock at Aug 19, 2015 at 12:14 am
    IIRC Go's FastCGI implementation will also be slower (in most cases) than a
    HTTP reverse proxy. Part of that is probably because FastCGI is long in the
    tooth and the code hasn't had a ton of optimisation.