Hello

I know this is probably too late.

Could it be possible that some new additions to the stdlib
could be marked unstable like parts of the testing package
and thus not covered by the Go 1 compatibility guidelines?

I am worried that some of the bits in go/* and especially
go/types are found to be non-optional in the future.
Fixing them will be painful if they are subject
to the compatibility guidelines.

- Taru Karttunen

  • Dave Cheney at Aug 4, 2015 at 8:19 am
    Which parts of the testing package are marked unstable?

    Thanks

    Dave

  • Taru Karttunen at Aug 4, 2015 at 8:27 am

    Which parts of the testing package are marked unstable?
    https://tip.golang.org/pkg/testing/

    func RegisterCover, type Cover, type CoverBlock,
    func MainStart.

    (Search for "Go 1 compatibility")

    - Taru Karttunen

  • Dave Cheney at Aug 4, 2015 at 8:33 am
    Wow, what a precedent. All that arguing over the internal directories could
    have been avoided.
    Which parts of the testing package are marked unstable?
    https://tip.golang.org/pkg/testing/

    func RegisterCover, type Cover, type CoverBlock,
    func MainStart.

    (Search for "Go 1 compatibility")

    - Taru Karttunen
  • Caleb Spare at Aug 5, 2015 at 1:54 am

    I was frustrated that all the effort that has been put into the singular
    message that the entirety of the stdlib is covered by the go 1 contract is
    now undone by the precident of those four symbols.

    ​That's a pessimistic view. I don't think that presence of those symbols
    reduces the value or integrity of the compatibility promise to any
    substantial degree. I think it's a pragmatic solution to the unique
    concerns of integrating the testing package with the test runner in the go
    tool, given that internal packages did not exist early on.

    I don't see that the same kinds of concerns hold for go/types and friends,
    and I hope we don't see any other special exceptions carved out of the
    standard library.

  • Rob Pike at Aug 5, 2015 at 2:33 am
    Had the internal idea existed at the time that coverage went in, there
    would have been no need for that annotation.

    -rob

    I was frustrated that all the effort that has been put into the singular
    message that the entirety of the stdlib is covered by the go 1 contract is
    now undone by the precident of those four symbols.

    ​That's a pessimistic view. I don't think that presence of those symbols
    reduces the value or integrity of the compatibility promise to any
    substantial degree. I think it's a pragmatic solution to the unique
    concerns of integrating the testing package with the test runner in the go
    tool, given that internal packages did not exist early on.

    I don't see that the same kinds of concerns hold for go/types and friends,
    and I hope we don't see any other special exceptions carved out of the
    standard library.

  • Dave Cheney at Aug 5, 2015 at 2:38 am
    Now we have internal, can I send a PR to remove those symbols ?

    On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Caleb Spare <ces...@gmail.com
    I was frustrated that all the effort that has been put into the singular
    message that the entirety of the stdlib is covered by the go 1 contract is
    now undone by the precident of those four symbols.

    ​That's a pessimistic view. I don't think that presence of those symbols
    reduces the value or integrity of the compatibility promise to any
    substantial degree. I think it's a pragmatic solution to the unique
    concerns of integrating the testing package with the test runner in the go
    tool, given that internal packages did not exist early on.

    I don't see that the same kinds of concerns hold for go/types and
    friends, and I hope we don't see any other special exceptions carved out of
    the standard library.

  • Rob Pike at Aug 5, 2015 at 3:25 am
    Please drop this. There is no crisis and there are sure to be dependencies
    on them in the wild. They will break if we change these or if some other
    system uses different test coverage technology. I'm fine with that; the
    warning is clear.

    -rob

[...]

  • Manlio Perillo at Aug 5, 2015 at 9:43 am
    Which parts of the testing package are marked unstable?
    https://tip.golang.org/pkg/testing/

    func RegisterCover, type Cover, type CoverBlock,
    func MainStart.

    (Search for "Go 1 compatibility")
    By the way: isn't it possible to improve the formatting of the NOTE
    sections?

    Thanks Manlio