I have various small system level utilities that are super-fast and
convenient to write in Go. And, cross-platform. They typicallu run as
daemons in user space, and are used for erporting or tracking parts of a
system (for example: which files were copied to my dropbox today).

The problem I run into is this: I would really liek to distribute these
programs, to -dare I say it- normal users, but alas, they'd need to have a
minimal UI (put in the system tray/ menu bar, a splash screen with some
initial settings (like, select your Dropbox foldr location), you know the
works).

I don't want to go down the QML route, but I'd really like to distribute
some of these tools. The best option I came up with so far is embedding the
go executable in another executable from UI land, have that bootstrap, and
take it from there. Feels wrong though.

Any thoughts/ideas/.... highly appreciated!

--Maarten

  • Fredrik Ehnbom at Aug 2, 2015 at 11:09 am
    Open up a http server at some port and launch a webbrowser to http://localhost:your_port is probably the simplest.

  • Roberto Zanotto at Aug 2, 2015 at 12:20 pm
    +1
    Open up a http server at some port and launch a webbrowser to
    http://localhost:your_port is probably the simplest.
  • Andrewchamberss at Aug 2, 2015 at 11:43 am
    No need to embed them, writing a ui in C++ which shells out to utilities
    might work.
[...]

  • Gerald Stanje at Aug 2, 2015 at 5:54 pm
    hi,

    this is experimential but worth mentioning: https://github.com/google/gxui

    Gerald