Hey all,

I'm teaching myself go at the moment and I must say working with it is a
real pleasure (especially the concurrency features)!
So I'm currently developing a little server monitoring tool, which notifies
you via mail when something happened (e.g. process stopped running).
The only thing I'm stuck with at the moment is actually sending the mail
from mail online providers (gmail, yahoo ...).
To be able to get it working, I had to enable the gmail setting for "not
secure apps" (something like that). However mails get still rejected
sometimes
(and sadly this happens silently, so no go-error gets thrown), when sending
too "fast" - means sending too much mail in a short amount of time.

I understand that Googlemail doesn't want to be abused for spam and the
likes.
What you guys think, what would be a reasonable way to get important
messages from the server as fast as possible and still be able to comply to
the providers standards? Or is there even some kind of policy (e.g. you
can't send more than 3 mails within 5 minutes) or something like that?

  • Paraiso Marc at May 31, 2015 at 1:19 pm
    Your question has very little to do with Go itself. Never the less, you
    should not be using a gmail account to send mails but use a proper mail
    service like mailchimp , sendgrid , ...

  • Sil at May 31, 2015 at 1:19 pm
    Hi Sebastian - I'm working on pretty much the same thing you mentioned this
    summer: cron-like go routines to check for reliability of subcomponents,
    and a go-routines based notifier that sends emails and sms, based on tiers
    of severity

    try mandrill.com - those guys offer 12 thousand emails per month free,
    outbound - and there's already Go wrappers for it that you can adapt - e.g.
    : https://github.com/mostafah/mandrill

    for my purposes, it so far appears to be working like a charm

    Cheers
    Silviu

[...]

  • Kiki Sugiaman at May 31, 2015 at 3:21 pm
    If you just want a quick fix to sending emails to yourself from your
    system, you can actually follow the example from the net/smtp package
    verbatim (plus some email body formatting). The emails will be sent from
    wherever you are running the application from (bypassing the need for
    gmail, yahoo, etc. on the sending side) to your personal inbox. Remember
    to whitelist since the emails are likely to end up in spam.

    Of course, "real world" email doesn't work like this. Various protocols
    are put in place (dkim, spf, etc.) to prevent spam. Implementing them
    may not be worth the effort. If you are sending to many different
    recipients, it's easier to just use cloud transactional email solutions
    mentioned by the other answers.

[...]

  • Sebastian Pältz at May 31, 2015 at 5:15 pm
    Hey,

    thank you for your answers. Mandrill looks promising, I'm gonna try that
    out for sure.