Just wanted to say that "glNext" is here and it's name is Vulkan

https://www.khronos.org/vulkan
https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/2015_vulkan_v1_Overview.pdf

This slide

<https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/apis/2015-vk-image-4.png>
and SPIR-V and basically all the pdf is screaming to me that Go could
finally shine on graphical applications. Even better, if targeting SPIR-V
is possible, Go could be used as shader language!

Am I the only one excited?

  • Daniel Skinner at Mar 4, 2015 at 6:39 am
    I'm just happy they didn't call it LibreGL. Here's the paper on SPIR-V if
    you want to get started :)
    https://www.khronos.org/registry/spir-v/papers/WhitePaper.pdf
    Just wanted to say that "glNext" is here and it's name is Vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/2015_vulkan_v1_Overview.pdf

    This slide

    <https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/apis/2015-vk-image-4.png>
    and SPIR-V and basically all the pdf is screaming to me that Go could
    finally shine on graphical applications. Even better, if targeting SPIR-V
    is possible, Go could be used as shader language!

    Am I the only one excited?

  • Dmitri Shuralyov at Mar 4, 2015 at 7:05 am
    I am excited too, and looking forward to playing with it and adding
    bindings to https://github.com/go-gl org.

    My main concern right now is the lack of mention about web; I was hoping
    Vulkan would unify desktop + mobile + web, not just the first two.

    On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Eduard Castany <eduard....@gmail.com
    Just wanted to say that "glNext" is here and it's name is Vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/2015_vulkan_v1_Overview.pdf

    This slide

    <https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/apis/2015-vk-image-4.png>
    and SPIR-V and basically all the pdf is screaming to me that Go could
    finally shine on graphical applications. Even better, if targeting SPIR-V
    is possible, Go could be used as shader language!

    Am I the only one excited?

  • Oleku Konko at Mar 6, 2015 at 7:07 pm
    Humm can this also be a step towards channels on GPU :)

[...]

  • Manlio Perillo at Mar 4, 2015 at 1:05 pm
    Just wanted to say that "glNext" is here and it's name is Vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/vulkan

    https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/2015_vulkan_v1_Overview.pdf

    This slide

    <https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/apis/2015-vk-image-4.png>
    and SPIR-V and basically all the pdf is screaming to me that Go could
    finally shine on graphical applications. Even better, if targeting SPIR-V
    is possible, Go could be used as shader language!

    Am I the only one excited?
    Count me on.

    If go compiler is able to target SPIR-V, then this can open the road for
    high efficient pure Go graphics library.

    Regards Manlio