I'm looking into a sporadic GC issue happening in our REST api server,
which is compiled with Go 1.2. Under load testing, I'm sporadically seeing
262 second GC pauses. (normally under the same load, GC pauses are all
under 0.5 seconds)

Here are the expvar memstats data during a sporadic long GC:

https://gist.github.com/tleyden/5d50cc5d7e58c2a0ecd6#file-gistfile1-txt-L64

Also, here is the output from top while the long GC'ing was happening:

https://gist.github.com/tleyden/6849c242a1aecb885820#file-gistfile1-txt-L14

My current plan of attack is to just do heap profiling and try to figure
out why it's using so much memory. Anything else I should be doing to get
to the root of the problem?

  • Michael Jones at Jan 29, 2015 at 10:06 pm
    How does it compare when run under Go 1.3 and Go 1.4?
    I'm looking into a sporadic GC issue happening in our REST api server,
    which is compiled with Go 1.2. Under load testing, I'm sporadically seeing
    262 second GC pauses. (normally under the same load, GC pauses are all
    under 0.5 seconds)

    Here are the expvar memstats data during a sporadic long GC:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/5d50cc5d7e58c2a0ecd6#file-gistfile1-txt-L64

    Also, here is the output from top while the long GC'ing was happening:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/6849c242a1aecb885820#file-gistfile1-txt-L14

    My current plan of attack is to just do heap profiling and try to figure
    out why it's using so much memory. Anything else I should be doing to get
    to the root of the problem?

    *Michael T. Jones | Chief Technology Advocate, Google | mtj@google.com
    <mtj@google.com> | +1 650-335-5765*

  • Traun Leyden at Jan 29, 2015 at 10:10 pm
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen every time. If I can figure out
    the root cause and how to reproduce it reliably, then I'll be able to do a
    more meaningful comparison against later versions of Go.

    At this point I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.
    How does it compare when run under Go 1.3 and Go 1.4?

    On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Traun Leyden <traun....@gmail.com
    I'm looking into a sporadic GC issue happening in our REST api server,
    which is compiled with Go 1.2. Under load testing, I'm sporadically seeing
    262 second GC pauses. (normally under the same load, GC pauses are all
    under 0.5 seconds)

    Here are the expvar memstats data during a sporadic long GC:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/5d50cc5d7e58c2a0ecd6#file-gistfile1-txt-L64

    Also, here is the output from top while the long GC'ing was happening:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/6849c242a1aecb885820#file-gistfile1-txt-L14

    My current plan of attack is to just do heap profiling and try to figure
    out why it's using so much memory. Anything else I should be doing to get
    to the root of the problem?

    *Michael T. Jones | Chief Technology Advocate, Google | m...@google.com
    <javascript:> | +1 650-335-5765*
  • Dave Cheney at Jan 29, 2015 at 11:28 pm
    It should be pretty easy to figure out if you run your program with

    GODEBUG=gctrace=1

    set.

    Also, you _really_ should upgrade to Go 1.4. Are there any particular
    issues preventing you from doing this ?
    I'm looking into a sporadic GC issue happening in our REST api server,
    which is compiled with Go 1.2. Under load testing, I'm sporadically seeing
    262 second GC pauses. (normally under the same load, GC pauses are all
    under 0.5 seconds)

    Here are the expvar memstats data during a sporadic long GC:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/5d50cc5d7e58c2a0ecd6#file-gistfile1-txt-L64

    Also, here is the output from top while the long GC'ing was happening:

    https://gist.github.com/tleyden/6849c242a1aecb885820#file-gistfile1-txt-L14

    My current plan of attack is to just do heap profiling and try to figure
    out why it's using so much memory. Anything else I should be doing to get
    to the root of the problem?
  • Traun Leyden at Jan 29, 2015 at 11:44 pm
    Nope, no issues with 1.4, we're just using 1.2 since nobody has gotten
    around to upgrading the CI server. I'll move to 1.4 and check out the
    gctrace=1
    output.