I wanted to ask if the Go team would consider moving the parser in
golang.org/x/tools/cmd/benchcmp into its own package so that it can be
reused by other tools, such as prettybench[1].

Before benchcmp was written in Go, most people came up with their own
parsers for benchmark output, but now that there's an upstream one,
it'd be great if it could be reused, without having to copy parts of
benchcmp.

I'd be willing to send a CL if the team agrees.

CCing Josh Bleecher Snyder as he's the original author of benchcmp.

[1] https://github.com/cespare/prettybench
--
Dominik Honnef

  • Josh Bleecher Snyder at Dec 23, 2014 at 5:45 pm

    I wanted to ask if the Go team would consider moving the parser in
    golang.org/x/tools/cmd/benchcmp into its own package so that it can be
    reused by other tools, such as prettybench[1].
    I'm not the gatekeeper, but it seems like a fine idea to me. When I
    wrote the initial version of benchcmp, I did so with this possibility
    in mind.

    If you do this, you may want to change the implementation of the -best
    flag, as it mixes the parsing with the desired output.

    -josh