https://github.com/jimmyfrasche/gather

This is a small tool for gathering files from package directories.

It searches both the specified directories and the directories of
dependent packages.

Say you were building a web site and wanted to keep your javascript
files in the same directory as the package that used them but needed
to copy them into an asset directory for serving:

cp $(gather "*.js" your/webapps/importpath) static/js

(of course in that example all .js files would have to have a unique
name or one would "win" arbitrarily)

It's a basic tool, so there's no way to, for example, have a package
override a file in a package it imports or anything fancy like that:
it just lists them and what you do with that list is up to you.

Still, I hope you find it useful.

  • Jimmy frasche at Nov 23, 2014 at 1:08 am
    Reflecting on the example, I gave that's not very useful, so I added a
    -fail-on-dup flag for when you're using this in build scripts. The
    amended example is thus:

    cp $(gather -fail-on-dup "*.js" your/webapps/importpath) static/js