I have a couple pretty fundamental question about Go development.

    1. Assuming I am on a machine that does not have go installed yet. What
    setup is necessary to (a) write programs in Go in general alongside (b) Go
    GAE development specifically? I am not sure if/when I still have to install
    Go [2] after installing the GAE Go SDK [1].
    2. Does "go get" work if I just have the GAE Go SDK [1] installed or
    does it require a "regular" Go installation [2]?
    3. Can I use go autocompleting daemons like gocode with just the GAE Go
    SDK installed? If no, what do I need to do in addition to installing the
    GAE Go SDK to use those tools?
    4. Assuming I have "go get" working on my machine. I am wondering where
    dependencies for Go development (e.g. gocode
    <https://github.com/nsf/gocode>, gocover
    <https://github.com/yosssi/gocover>, gocover-cobertura
    <https://github.com/t-yuki/gocover-cobertura>) stored compared to
    potential libraries used by my Go GAE app (e.g. mux
    <http://www.gorillatoolkit.org/pkg/mux>, goon
    <http://godoc.org/github.com/mjibson/goon>, appstats
    <https://github.com/mjibson/appstats>). I assume gocode is stored
    globally on my system (e.g. in Go's installation directory). But libraries
    used by a Go GAE app are stored for each app individually. Their source
    will have to be available when building and uploading apps to GAE. Tools
    for go development on the other hand are only needed at build time i.e.
    don't need to be stored in the app's source tree. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Ingo

[1] https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/#Go_tools
[2] https://golang.org/doc/install

  • Steve McCoy at Oct 15, 2014 at 4:00 pm
    The app engine Go SDK provides a full Go development environment that is
    almost the same as the normal Go distribution (it omits things that aren't
    allowed on appengine, adds some appengine packages, and has other minor
    changes that I don't recall). It uses GOPATH for everything that GOPATH is
    normally used for. The main difference is that you sometimes use the
    "goapp" tool instead of
    "go": https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/gettingstarted/devenvironment

    When you deploy your app to appengine, any packages that it depends on will
    be retrieved via "go get" when possible.

    I'm not familiar with gocode, so I can't say if that will still work.