The "go clean -r" command is not removing old compiled packages.

I checked the source code src/cmd/go/clean.go for "go clean". The doc
specifically mentioned removing these files. However, I don't find the code
that's actually doing this.

        *.[568ao] object files, left from Makefiles

And using "go clean -x -n -r ./...", I only see output removing ".test" and
".exe" files, etc, but not going to the pkg/ folder to delete the ".a"
files.

cd /usr/local/go/src/pkg/log
rm -f log.test log.test.exe
cd /usr/local/go/src/pkg/mime
rm -f mime.test mime.test.exe type_plan9 type_plan9.exe type_windows
type_windows.exe
cd /usr/local/go/src/pkg/mime/multipart
rm -f multipart.test multipart.test.exe
cd /usr/local/go/src/pkg/net/textproto
rm -f textproto.test textproto.test.exe
cd /usr/local/go/src/pkg/net/url
rm -f url.test url.test.exe

  • Emily Maier at Oct 8, 2014 at 10:29 pm

[...]

    It's intended to only touch the source directories, not the compilation
    ones. The object files referenced are for some build processes that
    leave them behind in the source instead of using a temp one.

    Emily

  • ChrisLu at Oct 9, 2014 at 12:25 am
    ok.

    But I could not find any hint that it's trying to deal with "*.a" files. If
    so, the documentation is wrong.

    Chris
[...]

  • Chris Lu at Oct 9, 2014 at 1:42 am
    Not really. "go clean -i" only remove some "*.test", "*.exe" files under
    src/ folder.

    "go clean -i -x" can show what are really removed.

    Chris
    Your Go install is messed up. It should not be trying to remove files in
    /usr/local/go, nor should it be succeeding