Correction:
Instead of "using asymmetric encryption for our API and storage" , please
read it as "using asymmetric encryption for our API".

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:32:00 PM UTC+5:30, Manish Chakravarty wrote:

Hello!

I'm writing a book "Web applications with Go" -
https://leanpub.com/go-webapps/
I've collected the material and I want to share the outline and gather
feedback from all my fellow gophers.

About the book:

Table of Contents

* Introduction to Go
* Unit testing and Test Driven Development with Go
* Creating a simple Twitter-like Microblog application ( using Beego
Framework )
* UI templates
* Styling with Twitter Boostrap
* Background jobs - processing '@' mentions
* WebSockets - '@' mention push-style notifications.
* Search and indexing - processing '#' hashtags
* Security - using asymmetric encryption for our API and storage
* Deployment - deploying to Amazon AWS and Google App Engine for Go

The book describes how to build a Twitter-like application, as an example
of a real-world web application. To make the example as realistic as
possible, we walk the reader through building an application with the
following real-world-like features:

* A user of this application ( that we create in the book) will be able to
create/read/update/delete posts. The user will be able to follow other
users and view their timeline.
* An HTML ( web ) view as well as a REST API will be created. Beego
framework will be used.
* The application will be styled using Twitter Bootstrap
* The application will be able to detect '@' mentions. This will be done
via a background concurrent job and the user will be introduced to writing
such jobs in Go web applications.
* The application will push mention notifications using WebSockets. The
push notification will be triggered after a mention is detected, as above.
* The application will allow users to search by '#' hashtag. In this
section, the reader will be shown how to handle searching and indexing of
text - an important chapter, given (almost) every application today needs
to do search.
* The application we create will introduce the user to Public Key
Cryptography ( and it's application to web applications ) by creating an
API that will accept JSON encrypted with the server's public key, which the
server will then decrypt using it's private key and post the message. The
API call from the user to the server will be public-key encrypted. The Go's
Box Crypto API - https://godoc.org/code.google.com/p/go.crypto/nacl/box -
will be used
* Deployment: The user will be walked through deploying the application on
Amazon AWS and Google's new Go Runtime Engine -
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/go/

Notes:

* I've collected the material and I've started writing my book
* I'm a freelancer and this book is based out of my own experience of
working with Go.
* The book is now free and will always be.
* Leanpub allows variable pricing ( you can pay from $0 to $19.99 - your
choice) - if you can pay, please do!
* If you cannot pay for some reason, that's okay too. Money should not get
in the way of learning.

I hope to have this book completed in 10 days ( as I've already mentioned,
I have most of the material ).

Feedback is more than welcome!

Regards,
Manish Chakravarty

  • Naturallog at Aug 31, 2014 at 10:48 pm
    There is huge momentum on Single Page Applications which have a frontend
    based on Angularjs, Ember etc. with the backend being a JSON API Server.
    It will be great if you can include samples for AngularJS frontend and Go
    backend.
[...]

  • Russel Winder at Sep 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm