I buliding an web app that allow user upload the video (mp4) and then
resize/compress/extract audio from it.
Now after save the video in disk, I use os package to call ffmpeg do the
function.

Is there any go package that allow me to work directly with the
request.Body?
Will it be faster, equal or atleast just 30% slower than my old way?

P/s: this is the first time I work with video/audio stuff :D

  • Ahmed Waheed at Apr 27, 2014 at 12:17 pm
    I'm not very awake yet so I might be wrong but what you'd roughly need to
    do is :

    1. Get a reader from `req.FormFile<http://golang.org/pkg/net/http/#Request.FormFile>
    `
    2. Execute `ffmpeg -i pipe:0<http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-protocols.html#pipe>`
    using `exec.Cmd`
    3. Pass the reader from #1 to `Cmd.StdinPipe<http://golang.org/pkg/os/exec/#Cmd.StdinPipe>
    ()`
    4. Profit.
    I buliding an web app that allow user upload the video (mp4) and then
    resize/compress/extract audio from it.
    Now after save the video in disk, I use os package to call ffmpeg do the
    function.

    Is there any go package that allow me to work directly with the
    request.Body?
    Will it be faster, equal or atleast just 30% slower than my old way?

    P/s: this is the first time I work with video/audio stuff :D
  • Nvcnvn at Apr 27, 2014 at 4:25 pm
    Hi,
    Thanks you, I will try that :)
[...]

  • Carlos Castillo at Apr 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm
    For #3, you can simply assign the response.Body (an io.Reader) to the
    cmd.Stdin field (also io.Reader) instead of getting a pipe, and writing a
    processing loop or using io.Copy.

    eg:
      cmd := exec.Cmd(<ffmpeg command>)
      cmd.Stdin = request.Body