Hi all,

I've been working for a while on a Go implementation of Twitter's Snowflake
unique ID generation service.

You can check it out here: https://github.com/erans/gosnowflake

I would love to get feedback in general and on the code and styling as this
is my first "real" Go based project.

I was wondering what is the correct way to implement a server in terms of
error handling. Do the "Serve" command needs to handle everything and panic
if things go really wrong (memory issues, etc).

I've recently added Thrift support to it and when I forgot to correctly
implement one method the server blew up. Is there a way to catch it in a
more graceful way?

Thanks,
Eran

  • Wkharold at Apr 1, 2014 at 3:09 pm
    A similar effort from a couple of years
    ago: https://github.com/bmizerany/noeqd
    I've been working for a while on a Go implementation of Twitter's
    Snowflake unique ID generation service.

    You can check it out here: https://github.com/erans/gosnowflake

    I would love to get feedback in general and on the code and styling as
    this is my first "real" Go based project.

    I was wondering what is the correct way to implement a server in terms of
    error handling. Do the "Serve" command needs to handle everything and panic
    if things go really wrong (memory issues, etc).

    I've recently added Thrift support to it and when I forgot to correctly
    implement one method the server blew up. Is there a way to catch it in a
    more graceful way?

    Thanks,
    Eran
  • Eran Sandler at Apr 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm
    Thanks. I will take a look.

    No one touched it for 2 years and it doesn't have Thrift support, but I'm
    sure I can learn a couple of things from that.

    Eran