Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone could fill me in on a few details of "issue
4069: cmd/ld: invoke host linker for cgo build", in particular I was
wondering weather or not anyone:

    - knows what the current issues are with enabling external linking on
    Windows in specific?
    - is working on this issue currently, and if a fix might get in Go 1.3
    before the March 1 code freeze?
    - which source files I might look at to see where the external linking
    phase normally occurs?

I appreciate your time and effort,
Stephen

  • Minux at Feb 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm

    I wanted to know if anyone could fill me in on a few details of "issue
    4069: cmd/ld: invoke host linker for cgo build", in particular I was
    wondering weather or not anyone:

    - knows what the current issues are with enabling external linking on
    Windows in specific?

    generate relocatable COFF files; I think most of the work is generating
    relocations.
    - is working on this issue currently, and if a fix might get in Go 1.3
    before the March 1 code freeze?

    I'm not aware of anybody working on that issue (at least nobody announces
    that he/she is working on that).
    - which source files I might look at to see where the external linking
    phase normally occurs?

    I'd suggest you look through the hg history looking for external linking
    related commits.

  • Stephen Gutekanst at Feb 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm
    Thank you, Minux!

    I did manage to find commits related to external linking, like you
    mentioned.

    src/cmd/ld is the linker source code; and it seems src/cmd/ld/pe.c or
    ldpe.c might be of interest -- but i also discovered I don't know nearly as
    much as I thought I did about how linkers work in general to figure this
    one out.

    Stephen