A friend of mine had suggested that it was possible to write Node.js native
extensions in Go as opposed to C++. I said that I wasn't aware that was
possible, and he said as far as he knew, it was. So I tried to find
information on it which turned up this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20728255/could-one-write-a-native-node-js-extension-in-go-as-opposed-to-c

I was wondering if someone could explain the potential
usability/limitations of the approach in this example, in terms of "writing
extensions for other languages". I was under the impression that Go needed
to be the entry point, for its initialization, yet this seems to just start
the entry point from a C wrapper?

Anyways, interested to hear some information on this approach.

  • Kyle Lemons at Jan 3, 2014 at 7:22 pm
    It might be doable for simple things like add (that don't generate garbage
    or require the runtime), but it's not supported (yet) by either compiler as
    far as I know. Part of the work is done for linux (see golang.org/issue/256),
    but there are a number of open questions (what happens when you load two
    shared objects? etc)

    A friend of mine had suggested that it was possible to write Node.js
    native extensions in Go as opposed to C++. I said that I wasn't aware that
    was possible, and he said as far as he knew, it was. So I tried to find
    information on it which turned up this post:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20728255/could-one-write-a-native-node-js-extension-in-go-as-opposed-to-c

    I was wondering if someone could explain the potential
    usability/limitations of the approach in this example, in terms of "writing
    extensions for other languages". I was under the impression that Go needed
    to be the entry point, for its initialization, yet this seems to just start
    the entry point from a C wrapper?

    Anyways, interested to hear some information on this approach.

  • Justin Israel at Jan 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm
    That's what I figured. I also assumed that it had to be limited in some
    fashion. Thanks for the clarification!