I am new to go and would like to make a go program that generates some
videos of vocabulary flash cards and uploads them to youtube. For example,
the input could be a text file with lines like "去=go", an intermediate file
video with text "去" for a few seconds and then the text "go" would be
generated, and then finally the output of the program would be an uploaded
youtube video of the file. Since I am new to go, I don't know if this is a
reasonable project. I found an ffmpeg wrapper project, bitmap file support
in the standard library, and have seen a web api call demo. So it looks
like the pieces are available. I don't have a lot of time in my off hours
to work on this, so tips to help cut down the time of to make this would be
great, including that this may not be a good use of go.

  • Benjamin Measures at Dec 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm

    I am new to go and would like to make a go program that generates some
    videos of vocabulary flash cards and uploads them to youtube. For example,
    the input could be a text file with lines like "去=go", an intermediate file
    video with text "去" for a few seconds and then the text "go" would be
    generated, and then finally the output of the program would be an uploaded
    youtube video of the file.
    Rendering and text layout can be difficult without a library such as Pango.
    Afaik there are no Pango bindings currently maintained.

    If you just want the job done, you may be better off doing this with
    another tool, such as mplayer and its subtitle rendering. That said, some
    go-written utility might be useful to parse input into subtitle output.

  • Benjamin Measures at Dec 8, 2013 at 11:54 pm

    I am new to go and would like to make a go program that generates some
    videos of vocabulary flash cards and uploads them to youtube. For example,
    the input could be a text file with lines like "去=go", an intermediate file
    video with text "去" for a few seconds and then the text "go" would be
    generated, and then finally the output of the program would be an uploaded
    youtube video of the file.
    Rendering and text layout can be difficult without a library such as
    Pango. Afaik there are no Pango bindings currently maintained.
    http://godoc.org/?q=pango
    There are always surprises.
    I take that back- a couple of those look really quite good. Thanks.

  • Mikael Gustavsson at Dec 10, 2013 at 10:41 am
    There's also:
    http://godoc.org/code.google.com/p/freetype-go/freetype