  • Jon at Nov 26, 2013 at 3:01 pm
    Igor linked to the voting thread, where users are petitioning Jetbrains to
    create a dedicated Go IDE.
    Jetbrains has created a variety of excellent IDEs, such as IDEA, RubyMine,
    PHPStorm, WebStorm, etc, and would be the best candidate for a strong Go
    IDE.

    Really, if Jetbrains isn't convinced that there's enough of a community to
    support development of a Go IDE, I'm hoping we can alternatively convince
    them to start a Kickstarter for the project, as I'd gladly contribute to
    get development funded.

    Please do vote! http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEABKL-5938
  • Jeff Mitchell at Nov 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    It's unclear who on that thread is part of JetBrains or not, but it sounds
    like they have some weird metrics for determining whether something is
    worth their time:
    "Go needs a compiler creating executables that run significant faster than
    Java. Google's Go compiler cannot make a significant difference in runtime
    performance to Java so far. Given this situation I don't see a selling
    point for Go."

    As we all know, there is no use for Go other than a faster Java.

    Then:
    Also, the Go GC runs out of memory very early (see the Google Havlak
    benchmark).

    As we all know, the Havlak benchmark is the pinnacle of excellent
    benchmarking practices. Those who have followed its development and Go's
    development know that Go just gets further and further behind.

    If this is indicative of JetBrains' attitude, I'd put the chances at "not
    great".

  • Jon at Nov 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    *Dmitry Jemerov* is the only person in that thread that is a part of
    Jetbrains dev group. Other off-the-wall responses are just uninformed users.
    The only relevant response(s) from Jetbrains (via Dmitry) are that Go's
    community is too small currently.
[...]

  • Jon at Nov 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    Ah, interesting. His last day w/ Jetbrains was Nov 14 per his twitter.
    Nice catch.

    Hopefully that ends up working in our favor somehow...
  • Igor Shuvalov at Nov 27, 2013 at 5:48 am
    I think that to some degree the lack of powerful IDE itself constrains the
    growth of community

    вторник, 26 ноября 2013 г., 21:08:50 UTC+4 пользователь j...@langevin.me
[...]

  • Tamás Gulácsi at Nov 27, 2013 at 6:27 am
    Yesterday I've been on a Code Management Workshop, where they presented some very sophisticated event-based-backwards debugging tools. For Java.
    I hope there will be a language which needs no such sophisticated tools, as the language forces simple, obviously error-free code.
    I think Go is several steps in that direction.

    (For my daily work, I'm using Oracle PL/SQL - a very simple, Ada-like imperative language, with very few features. The biggest culprit of code is the usage of global variables, and to have not stepping / stepping not the required variable (this results in obvious error, or infinite loop).
    Everybody is forced to the same simple code style, and has to use the same language with the same set of features - thus everybody can read everybody else's code.
    And some syntax coloring is enough for seeing the structure.)

    I've grown to respect language simplicity and One True Style.

  • Linuxerwang at Nov 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    Shake hands! I use jEdit extensively for 10 years.