Like many of you, I spend a lot of time on golang.org -- mostly for
documentation. (There's a lot to learn!)

Am I the only one that doesn't like reading really, really long lines? I
know it makes the page feel shorter, but it's much easier to scan and find
things when constrained to a max width. For example, compare:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qJMMkBmUOUU/Uo5Ddii6keI/AAAAAAAABuA/3dqOLiTomQU/s1600/golang+website+wide.png>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I73CluYrT0I/Uo5CbsEKqHI/AAAAAAAABt4/V7ooUwZ5ZTY/s1600/golang+website.png>
.

Here I've just added one line of CSS using the inspector tools: max-width:
960px, just for kicks. Simple fix, and in my opinion, it's much better.
With the narrower content I can scan it to more easily find what I need
(most pages are very long) and articles like Effective Go, which are small
books, read more easily up and down than left and right. (Plus, the
collapsability of the sections becomes more relevant and useful with
narrower content.)

Is the website open-sourced at all? I'd be happy to contribute to the
development of the golang.org website if that's an option. (For instance,
another item on my question list is why the Go tour has basic syntax
highlighting, but the Go playground doesn't.)

  • Slide at Nov 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    I'm fairly new to Go, but I thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents. I think
    having narrower than full screen is good, but going down as small as 960px
    is a bit much in my opinion. The whitespace becomes overbearing at that
    point. I would think a good 1 inch or 1.5inch margin on either side would
    reduce the line length enough and not look like I'm reading the docs on a
    cell phone all the time.

[...]

    Website: http://earl-of-code.com

  • Jan Mercl at Nov 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    Why does your browser window have twice the width of a line you consider
    comfortable to read?

    -j

  • Matthew Holt at Nov 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    My monitors are 22" wide (24" on the diagonal), and golang.org is one of
    few websites I spend lots of time reading while I have other tabs open that
    actually use the width to their advantage (responsive designs, etc).

    1 or 2 inch margins on either side may be enough (I just chose 960px for
    demonstration), but even the whitespace produced by that disappears from my
    vision when I'm absorbed in text.

    @Jan: Because I have other tabs open that use the width advantageously.
    Even if my browser window was more narrow, the lack of sufficient
    padding/margins on the sides makes it feel cramped/tight.